Thread: Smokers: Exercise to Cut Lung Cancer Risk

Sorry, unrepentant smokers, but your best bet for improved health is still to kick the habit once and for all. However, for those who struggle with quitting, or simply choose not to make an attempt, a new study finds that regular exercise can significantly cut smokers' risk of developing lung cancer. The study was based on data from nearly 37,000 female smokers who were monitored from 1986-2002 as part of the Iowa Women's Health Study. Those smokers who engaged in moderate physical activity, defined as one vigorous exercise session or four moderate sessions per week, had a 21% lower risk of lung cancer. Smokers who were even more regularly active, researchers found, enjoyed an even lower lung cancer incidence.

What This Means for You
    Although exercise does help alleviate health problems, regular smokers still remained at a much higher risk for complications like lung cancer than those who never smoked or who successfully kicked the habit.

News Bites
    Cut Fat to Curb Breast Cancer Recurrence
    Breast cancer survivors who stick to a diet low in saturated fat decrease their risk of relapse, a new study shows. According to researchers at the ...
    more
    Medical Marijuana Pill for Cancer Patients?
    While the debate over medical marijuana rages on, one new study proposes a compromise. According to researchers at the University of Toronto, a ...
    more
    Hour of Exercise Lowers Bowel Cancer Risk
    In the time it takes to watch yet another episode of American Idol or CSI: Miami, you could significantly cut your risk of developing ...
    more

7 Stupid Health Mistakes
    Do you constantly go to bed at 1 a.m. and wake up feeling groggy and more tired than when you finally hit the sack? Or do you insist on being tan in ...
    more
    Feeling Fat Today? Learn How to Deal
    We women all wake up on certain mornings and think to ourselves, “Wow, I feel really fat today.” But what brings upon this sudden proclamation? We ...

thanks for sharing the info miss sweet....
    i really wish that i could stop people frm smoking...it's really bad for your health..and especially for those who love these people..it must be painful to see how these smokers are destroying their own life...and hurting their loved ones.......who watch them do this to themselves.
    take life as it comes

I agree with Iqra Sis. It is very difficult to watch the ones near and dear to you smoke themselves away to an early death.

Great info Nailu.
    Get off my back

ho ho ho.. another attemp to make the smokers feel uncomfortable between you, the non smokers. It's a new and a refined form of racism at best. Don't you have anything else to do? More people die of HIV AIDS (sex, anyone?) than smoking tobacco. Public smoking? don't you see those industrial units emitting CO2? Save it for someone who cares.
    Dream, I do.

UHm...zahir hai..jo smoke karte hain unko baat to "lagti/chubti" hi hai...but sorry its TRUE!