Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft starts Vista hard sell

Microsoft is launching its latest version of Windows, called Vista, with more than 100m computers predicted to be using it worldwide within 12 months.

The new operating system (OS) goes on sale in four home versions, boasting an improved interface and security tools.
    But not all PCs will be able to run Vista - Microsoft recommends machines have at least 512Mb of RAM, a 800Mhz processor and 15Gb of hard disk space.
    Microsoft has pledged to continue support for XP users until 2011.
    There is also a stripped down version of the OS, Vista Starter, which is aimed at customers in developing countries. It will be available in 70 languages and will run on slower and older PCs.
    But Microsoft could face a backlash from consumers over its pricing plans - with the cost of Vista versions in the US roughly half the price of equivalent versions in the UK.
    Prices for the OS in the UK range from about £100 for an upgrade version of the Basic package to £249 for a copy of the upgrade to the Ultimate version of Vista.
    In the US prices start from $100 (£52) for an upgrade of Vista Home basic to $249 (£127) for the equivelant Ultimate version.

David Mitchell, the software practice leader at analysts Ovum, said: "In the consumer space there has not been any new release of a Windows operating system for five years.
    "Vista has taken a long time to develop so there is quite a lot of pent up consumer demand for it."
    Ovum predicts that 15% of XP machines will be running Vista by the end of 2007.
    "Part of the appetite is 'something new for something new's sake'," said Mr Mitchell.

"There is almost a fashionable element to it. You could argue that XP isn't broken, so why do some people want something new."
    Mr Mitchell predicted that the new graphical interface, the improved desktop search tools and a promise of more robust security would appeal to many users.
    But he predicted some consumers could be confused by the minimum specifications for PCs to run Vista and by the different versions on sale.
    Users can visit the Microsoft website to check if their hardware will run Vista and some new machines are being labelled Vista Capable or Premier Vista Ready, for those PCs with higher specifications.

"There's been an attempt to demystify what the minimum specifications are," said Mr Mitchell.
    "Undoubtedly some people - as in any industry - won't read the instructions."
    Microsoft's previous operating system, Windows XP, was criticised for having too many security holes and needing constant patching.
    Hundreds of fixed were introduced to the machine, including two sizeable improvements called Service Packs.
    The firm has pledged that Vista is more robust, but will come under fire if Vista proves to be the popular target of malicious hackers exploiting flaws, said Mr Mitchell.
    "It's crucial for corporate reputation and revenue that Vista proves more secure and stable than XP," he said.

The new operating system has been criticised for the way it handles digital content, such as paid for movies and downloads.
    Vista is able to downgrade the quality of video and audio if the content owners - such as a movie studio or download service - want the PC on which the media is being played to have specific connectors, such as a HDMI port to connect to a monitor.
    Derek Wall, a spokesman for the Green Party in the UK, said: "So-called digital rights management (DRM) technology in Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock you out of your computer.
    "Vista requires more expensive and energy-hungry hardware, passing the cost on to consumers and the environment.
    "This will also further exclude the poor from the latest technology, and impose burdensome costs on small and medium businesses who will be forced to enter another expensive upgrade cycle."
    Microsoft has defended its use of DRM saying it is only acting on the requests of content rights holders. On Tuesday, Microsoft also releases its new version of Office to consumers.

VISTA PC SPECIFICATIONS
    VISTA CAPABLE
    800MHz processor
    512Mb memory
    DirectX9 capable graphics processor

PREMIUM READY
    1Ghz processor
    1Gb memory
    128Mb graphics memory
    40Gb hard drive
    DVD-ROM
    Internet access

src:bbc.com

well yes vista is more good than xp...every frnd of mine says they liked vista more...but it needs too much of RAM...wat do u think will be the reason..?

i'm used it extensively .. yes .. da looks are nice .. but again .. the hardware has to be top notch .. dat 800 GHz and 512 MB RAM seems like a joke to me :s .. I ran Vista at 2.5GHz .. 1MB RAM .. and still I have problems while running GUI Benchmarking .. Leave that bit to side .. the number of pops (nag screens i call em) has increased proportinally .. I just wanted to enable Remote Assistance .. I had to face like 5 popups telling me its unsafe, etc. Overall experience was pleasant .. but if I have to pay £300 for an Ultimate Version, I prefer something like Ubuntu or even Fedora ..
    aye dil tu tanhaiyon main rehne ka AaDi hoja.. jinhein tu yaad karta hai wo bare masroof rehte hain..

Rahen,

Reason is offering.Now you cant except everything to be top-notched at min configuration.

Useless,
    Yeah security remains the most ardent reason for the upgrade from xp to Vista.Looks are solid and revolutionary but popups and other security will be the necessary menace.

Although i havent touched The Vista yet But wat a little info i got is that there is some Ultimate Edition in that Which Requires +1 GB VGA Card Support :O is it True or just a Rumour ?
    You know What i Mean!

contra of ideas

i do not agree tat vista s good.
    to me, VISTA SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

@Bhangra Prince

Saying it sucks ij just absurd.That too without stating the pros and cons.This is a forum friend.I would appreciate your arguments in your favor.Have you tried it yourself ??

Quote Originally Posted by Omar, post: 237569
    Although i havent touched The Vista yet But wat a little info i got is that there is some Ultimate Edition in that Which Requires +1 GB VGA Card Support :O is it True or just a Rumour ?
    hehe .. well i think something got messed up .. Vista needs 1GB of RAM (in my personal experience more than 1GB )
    aye dil tu tanhaiyon main rehne ka AaDi hoja.. jinhein tu yaad karta hai wo bare masroof rehte hain..

Quote Originally Posted by bangra_prince88, post: 238433
    i do not agree tat vista s good.
    to me, VISTA SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    I would like to know why you think it sucks and which is da best OS for u lay_ball:

I would like to knw too ..Waiting for the person to tell his tale.