Thread: Busting examination stress

Busting examination stress

By
    Sunday January 21, 01:12 AM
    Last month, 17-year-old Mansi Verma suddenly became an insomniac, lost her appetite and became withdrawn and irritable. Worried about how their well-adjusted daughter had transformed into an irritable grouch, her parents turned to a psychologist for advice. They were told Mansi was experiencing the textbook symptoms of exam stress triggered by her impending Class XII board examinations.

"Most students get stressed before their exams because of factors such as high expectations from themselves, and peer and parental pressure," says Loveleen Kaur, a student counsellor at St Mark's School, Meera Bagh.

"Peer pressure is one of the major factors that adds to stress," says Priyanka Dubey, a student of Class X at Carmel Convent School, Chanakyapuri. "It happens to me and now I consciously try not to talk about exams when I am with friends," she says.

Usually, teachers are unintentionally more trouble than help. "Throughout the year, students are constantly told at school that they are in Class X or XII, so they must study. Constant reminders can wreck the student psyche," says Shivani, a counsellor at Sanskriti, Chanakyapuri.

Such high expectations prevent some students from giving it their best shot. While some may be able to handle pressure, many others lose focus and exhaust themselves studying.

So how dos one cope? Counsellors suggest simple methods such as time management. "Time management is the key. It is important to prioritise, so make a timetable and stick to it as far as possible," says Kaur. Another effective strategy is to start with the subjects you enjoy to gain confidence and then move on to the tougher ones.

Parents also need to stop living their ambitions through their children. "Recognise the child's potential and do not have unrealistic expectations from him or her," says Seema Banerjee, counsellor and head of the social work department at Laxman Public School.

Maintaining your routine has a calming effect. Tell yourself that even though exams begin in March, it is just another month of the year. So they must ensure that systems and routines at home do not change. "Many parents, for instance, take leave for two months to be at home, or they do not allow their child to go out and play or talk on the phone," says Shivani. "Changing one's lifestyle can be very upsetting, so children must continue doing things that they do on a normal day," she explains.

Taking regular breaks in between study sessions, eating healthy food, getting at least seven hours of sleep and listening to music can keep anxiety at bay, feel counsellors. For some students, involving themselves in activities that they love to do - be it watching films or playing with pets - can help reduce anxiety levels substantially. For others, a hot shower, going out with friends or taking a walk can be therapeutic.

A simple way to bust stress is to study without giving up on things you enjoy doing.

Source:YahooIndia
    http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4091/69423957gy5.jpg
    On Independence Day Here's wising our dreams of a new tomorrow come true for us NOW AND ALWAYS!

hmmmmmmmm ...nice contributions .....
    ~*jeenah mera terah Lila too nahi pas to kiya howa_khushboo tere har pal rahai sanshoo meri sada_mai nahi jaata meri manzil kahan Yoon hee chalta rahoon mai agar_yeh hai kasa seher_ junoon ka safar tera aihsaas he too rahai gah amar *~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Come with me and sleep forevermore...~

How to manage pre-exam jitters

Kanchan Maslekar

For most, the eve of an examination, especially a board exam, can prove to be nerve-wrecking.

Doubts on one's level of preparedness, surfaces at this time and this could lead to anxiety attacks.

Well, there's some advice at hand. Follow these tips on how to manage your pre-examination jitters.

Be positive, be calm

Though this is easier said than done, try not to fret. You have NOTHIN to gain from uselessly worrying if you've covered all the topics. Or not.

"Tell yourself that you going to give it your best shot," says Tripti Kavadikar, who conducts private coaching classes in Pune.

Still anxious? Then vow to make the most of available time still available to you.

Make a list of topics you need to cover and time available for each. Sumedha Deshpande, a Class X and Class XII merit holder prepared an hour-wise timetable for her topics.

"If I did not finish the topic in the allotted time, I moved on to the next topic and in the last hour revised the remaining portion," she adds.

Another HSC merit holder recalls how she got the more difficult tasks done first. "I began revising topics which I disliked the most and finish with those that I like best," Rucha Thosar says.

"Reading and writing down the important points also helps," adds Rucha. She avoided calling friends or surfing the Internet on the eve of her exams.

How to study

Tripti says the students must devise their own techniques for studying. This could include writing down points or reading aloud. She warns against reading too many reference books, which may lead to information overload.

Where you study is of utmost important. "I sit on a table and chair even for when reading, because it helps to keeps sleepiness at bay, besides improving your posture. If you lie down on a cosy bed with a book and some pillows, you are most likely to feel sleepy," says Rahul Bose, an SSC merit holder.

Quality not quantity

"It's the quality of study that counts. You may spend hours at your books, but if your mind is not in them, it's no point," says Tripti.

"One hour of good study is better than a whole night of mind-wandering," she adds, advising students not to burn the midnight oil, the night before an exam.

Reconfirm exam details

Make a quick call to a classmate to confirm the subject of the paper. However, make sure you don't turn the call into a chatting session.

Take a break

Regular breaks between study sessions is a must. Do relaxation exercises like deep breathing.

Take a walk in the garden or watch some news on television -- but only for a while!

No exam talk at dinner-time!

As far as possible, eat with your family on the eve of the exam. Parents can indulge their children by cooking something special. Avoid all talks of exams at the dinner table.

What to eat

Do not stuff yourself with food or snack during studies. This will only make you sluggish. Avoid spicy and salty food. Have lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, salads and pulses.

Small meals prior to the exam will make you more alert during the exam.

Get some shuteye

Don't stay up the whole night in the hopes that this would help you remember more. Those who sacrifice sleep end up feeling sluggish the next morning. Also, lapses in memory may occur due to an over tired mind.

Make a list

To avoid any last minute hassles. Pack your bag on the eve of your examination day. Make sure you have the following:

Hall ticket.
    Board pad.
    Carry at least three pens. Not brand new ones, but those that have been tried and tested by you. Make sure the ink levels are full.
    A set of sharpened pencils.
    Eraser.
    Ruler.
    Sharpener.
    Carry a bottle of water or juice in a bottle to keep you hydrated during the exam.

Note: Ensure there are no chits, old bills or receipts in your pen pack.

Source:Rediff
    http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4091/69423957gy5.jpg
    On Independence Day Here's wising our dreams of a new tomorrow come true for us NOW AND ALWAYS!