Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valentines

Hi all,

Now before I start this discuss (and I do hope someone will 'discuss'), I'll point it out that this is directed only towards MUSLIM members.

Thanks

Now coming back to the topic .. Valentines .. I've seen it so many places .. people doing it .. actually going out and preparing for this day .. What do you think in terms of valentinez .. is it important? I mean being a Muslim .. I know we only have TWO eids and thats it .. there is no other as such 'celebrating' occassion .. even on the eve of Kayam-ul-Layl* we're supposed to pray to Allah .. if i say so .. i might not be mistaken .. in five years time .. we will be celebrating easter and halloween as well ?? Just some questions i've posed .. and will love to hear ur views .. for or against .. wudn't matter

What do u think of Valentines Day as a Muslim?
    If you just do to for the sake of it, do you see us doing Halloween and Easter as well ?

* Kayam-ul-Layl - a night in the month of Ramadhan which is one night of the most blessed nights
    aye dil tu tanhaiyon main rehne ka AaDi hoja.. jinhein tu yaad karta hai wo bare masroof rehte hain..

Ghis pit geya hai yeh issue ab.. har aik k apne apne akede hien is din ko le ker... kher.

I used to think of it as a day when I could reach out and cuddle with my loved ones e.t.c. e.t.c. Not anymore.. I am going through that phase in life when you formulate opinions.. when you literally grow up. To me, from now onwards, Eid would be the best day to approach my loved ones.

Now I am not saying that I'd become hostile towards people on valentines day just because the infidels are celebrating it.. no! I'll respect them & their festivities e.t.c. and will reciprocate the affections accordingly.
    Dream, I do.

HMM...Well I dont really celebrate Valentines Day. But living in pardes, we have to be somwhat involved in these holidays cuz som of my friends have plans and do stuff so I guess a little bit of going along with things if there r any plans amongst friends. But not really "celebrating" it
    ~Ye Dard Ka Tufaan Guzra kyu nahi..Dil Toot Gayaa Hai To Bikhra kyu nahi..Ek Hi Shakhs Ko Chahta Hai kyu Itna..Koi Dusra Is Dil Me Utarta kyu nahi~

I agree with Bhai and Sis. If others around me are celebrating it, I will smile and enjoy talking about it. I don't celebrate Valentine's Day either though. I've wished people and put this avatar and sig up, but that's about it. I've participated in trick-o-treating during Halloween with my bro when I was younger just to get candy. Is that something to be taken as "bad"? I don't believe I've done anything wrong.

I'm excited to read what you have to say Aadi.
    Get off my back

Quote Originally Posted by Endurer, post: 242292
    Ghis pit geya hai yeh issue ab.. har aik k apne apne akede hien is din ko le ker... kher.

I used to think of it as a day when I could reach out and cuddle with my loved ones e.t.c. e.t.c. Not anymore.. I am going through that phase in life when you formulate opinions.. when you literally grow up. To me, from now onwards, Eid would be the best day to approach my loved ones.

Now I am not saying that I'd become hostile towards people on valentines day just because the infidels are celebrating it.. no! I'll respect them & their festivities e.t.c. and will reciprocate the affections accordingly.
    well yeh 'issue' beshaq ghis pit gaya hai .. per i still aint seeing any 'result' .. i'm not pointing fingers .. per still i've seen ppl (and know many) dat have actually gone an extra mile for all this .. and i really like ur views .. thnks for da input

Going back to the reason i started this thread .. da questions i asked haven't been answered ..
    aye dil tu tanhaiyon main rehne ka AaDi hoja.. jinhein tu yaad karta hai wo bare masroof rehte hain..

Quote Originally Posted by friendlygal786, post: 242295
    HMM...Well I dont really celebrate Valentines Day. But living in pardes, we have to be somwhat involved in these holidays cuz som of my friends have plans and do stuff so I guess a little bit of going along with things if there r any plans amongst friends. But not really "celebrating" it
    From the looks of this .. i think i might have to edit my first post .. but anyhow .. i really appreciate ur feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Hina87, post: 242876
    I agree with Bhai and Sis. If others around me are celebrating it, I will smile and enjoy talking about it. I don't celebrate Valentine's Day either though. I've wished people and put this avatar and sig up, but that's about it. I've participated in trick-o-treating during Halloween with my bro when I was younger just to get candy. Is that something to be taken as "bad"? I don't believe I've done anything wrong.

I'm excited to read what you have to say Aadi.
    No one is saying you've done anything wrong .. all i was askin was some comments which i think you all three missed (i haf to confess ma questions were unclear, but corrected em now) .. n as far as ma views are concerned .. i dont think i need to say much more now

I don't celebrate Valentine's Day, so I don't think much of it. There are no parties or love-fests that I go to. If I get chocolate or a rose from a friend (girl), then that's okay, but I don't go an extra mile to make it extravagant.

Halloween is good for the candy only. And easter is a religious type of holiday. They go to church that day. Obviously, these holidays won't be made into a big deal for us because we don't believe in this. I go along with SOME of the festivities and fun for the sake of not hurting others. Living in America forces you to have an open mind. I just don't think you should go crazy about them.

If I missed your questions again, let me know, and I'll give it another try.
    Get off my back

I dont see myself or people Im close to celebrating Easter and Halloween or Christmas. I guess it depends on our location. I live in the USA, and american country where all their holidays are celebrated throughout the country, just like in Pak our holidays r celebrated throughout. So, we dont celebrate, we r merely a small part of it, wishing our friends their holidays and times of joy.
    ~Ye Dard Ka Tufaan Guzra kyu nahi..Dil Toot Gayaa Hai To Bikhra kyu nahi..Ek Hi Shakhs Ko Chahta Hai kyu Itna..Koi Dusra Is Dil Me Utarta kyu nahi~

If I comment on this, I'll probably say the same I wont celebrate it .. ppl I know wont celebrate it .. yet the whole nation is tugged along and does it .. If we all think its wrong or shouldnt be celebrated .. than why do u think it has reached to this extent?