Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Weightloss...

Tips for Weightloss

We went to the real weight loss experts -- folks who've been there, done that -- to get their tips for taking it off and keeping it off. We wanted to know what really worked for folks who'd not only lost big kgs (more than 12), but who'd kept it off for more than a year.
    Not surprisingly, they changed their eating habits and increased their activity levels. But haven't we all tried that? Why did it work for them and not others? What follows are their inspirational, sensible, tough -- yet doable -- tips. We suggest printing out each page and hanging them on your fridge, desk or other prominent place. next Get moving
    The tough part with exercise, of course, is getting out there and doing it. Here's how the successful get going:
    1. Prioritize. The beds might not get made, but Reema, 36, still makes time for exercise. That's how she's kept off more than 32 kgs for 13 years. "I have to schedule it in and let go of other things -- like a perfectly clean house," she says.
    2. Find a passion. "I have a dance background and when I found Aerobics, I said, 'Thank God.' If somebody told me I had to go out and run five days a week, I'd still weigh 74 kgs," says Madhu, 41, who lost 22 kgs and has kept it off for 13 years.
    3. Keep an exercise log. It makes you more accountable.Tina from Delhi, who hangs hers on the refrigerator, checks off six workouts a week dutifully. "If I miss one day, I make that my day off for the week."
    4. Set a goal. "Try to improve your times.Earlier when i started, i used to be exhausted in 5 minutes doing Aerobics. But gradually, i could do 20 minutes and was getting fitter and losing more weight" says Neeta 34, who lost 22 kgs and now easily does a 45 minutes hectic Aerobics non-stop."
    5. Get pumped. "It wasn't until I put on more muscle through resistance training that I was able to keep the weight off -- almost effortlessly," says Madhumati, 37, who went from a size 18 to an 8. The reason? Muscle burns more calories around the clock.
    6. Make changes for the long haul. "I learned how to eat and live with it for the rest of my life," says Tina, 42, who lost more than 16 kgs and hasn't seen any come back in three years.
    7. Stop dieting. "The best thing I did was quit dieting," says Ritu. On average, weight loss winners eat five times a day.
    8. Follow the 90% to 10% rule. "If you watch what you eat 90% of the time, the other 10% is not a problem," says Meeta who learned this tip from a fitness professional.
    9. Dine at the dinner table only. If you eat in front of the TV, then every time you nestle in with the remote control, it's a cue to eat. Instead, designate an eating spot for all meals and snacks. "Even when I want potato chips, I set the table just like I was going to sit down for a full course meal," says Keerthi, 47, who took off more than 40 kgs. "It also stopped what I thought were hunger headaches, which were probably due to dehydration. "

10. Do it for yourself. "My doctor told me for years that I had to take the weight off. But you've got to want it yourself," says Jaya. "As long as somebody else is pushing you, no matter what you do or what you try, it'll never work," adds Shaila, 39, who shed 24 kgs and has kept them off for five years.

continued...
    wOrK SmaRt NoT HaRd......

nice information thank u for sharing

Good tips..maintaining urself is the hardest part of it I think
    ~Ye Dard Ka Tufaan Guzra kyu nahi..Dil Toot Gayaa Hai To Bikhra kyu nahi..Ek Hi Shakhs Ko Chahta Hai kyu Itna..Koi Dusra Is Dil Me Utarta kyu nahi~

yeah ! thanks for likin'!

here are mor
    11. Take it slow. We all want to lose it yesterday, but slow is the way to go if you don't want to see those Kgs again. "It took me a year to lose 20 kgs this time," says Sheela, who's kept it off for eight years. "I had lost 20 kgs twice before, in less than six months each time, but I didn't maintain it."

12. Customize your approach. What worked for your best friend may not work for you. And what works for you today may not work six months from now. You need to decide what you need. Sheela joined a structured program for accountability. "I needed to know that I was going to get weighed each week," she says. But for others that's exactly what they don't need.

13. Learn from the past. Everyone we talked to had tried to lose weight before. Part of their success this time was that they learned from past failures. "Before, the more I focused on weighing, measuring, and preparing food, the more I ate," says Meeta, who finally succeeded with a program that offered prepackaged foods.

14. Set small goals. "My first goal was to lose only 4 kgs," says Rita. "I had very high blood pressure, and my doctor said if I would just lose 4 kgs, he believed that I could get off the pills. Every other doctor before said I had to lose 40 kgs, and I thought 'I can't do that.' But 4 kgs, I thought 'maybe I can do that.' Doing it one bite at a time made it more achievable for me."

15. Make changes you can live with. "Before I'd go to bed I'd ask myself, 'Is what I did today something I could do for the rest of my life?' If I felt deprived, I'd do it differently tomorrow. If I thought, 'Yeah, I could do this tomorrow,' then I was on the right track," says Ritu.

16. Go back to school. Joining a weight loss class or working with a dietitian can help you learn proper portions, even without weighing and measuring. "If you get a half cup of cottage cheese, it should look like a tennis ball, a quarter cup should look like a Ping-Pong ball," says Meeta. "Now, I know what appropriate portions look like."

17. Don't toss those measuring cups, though. "I usually misjudge portions of salad dressing, and ice cream," says Sheela. "They're really high in fat and calories and cause the most damage if overdone. So I still measure them."

18. Cook for your family, not an army. Even for low-fat foods like grilled chicken,Mala stopped overfeeding her family of four. "I stopped making six or seven roasted chicken pieces, thinking that everybody had to have two or three," she says. "Now I make just one for each person."

19. Plan ahead. An empty fridge after a stressful day begs for pizza. The now-slender crew doesn't leave meals to chance. Many of them plan their menus a week or more in advance.

20. A little dab will do it. If you just can't pass on some high-fat favorites, stick to the most flavorful ones. "A single slice of chicken meat is enough to flavor eggs or a potato," says Hena, 61, who lost about 21 kgs. Her husband's lost more than 45 kgs.

I need such tips..believe me i was this skinny but have put on so much weight!:sad:
    http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4091/69423957gy5.jpg
    On Independence Day Here's wising our dreams of a new tomorrow come true for us NOW AND ALWAYS!

50 Plus? Have Calcium
    Women gain weight after menopause! That, is an accepted norm of nature. Therefore many of them hit the gym class as they near this dreaded phase of their lives. Research, now, has shown that the antidote to this weight gain, lies in the little calcium tablet that women usually opt for to compensate for the depleting calcium reserves from their body.

Experts say that taking calcium on a regular basis results in a more efficient breakdown of fat cells in the body. It also leads to the production of leptin, which is a chemical that helps to curb appetite. In a study conducted on this, it was discovered that this effect was more pronounced in women, who had less of the nutrients of Calcium and Vitamin D, in their bodies prior to the onset of the study. Calcium, in this case balanced the nutrition intake of the body and helped to increase the body metabolism. Post menopausal women, aged 50-79, were observed for 7 years, for this study.

At the end of the study, the experts discovered that the women who took the calcium supplements weighed 0.28 pounds less than the women who did not take this supplement.

So, women nearing menopause, need to take calcium supplements, to protect themselves from bone diseases like osteoporosis as well as prevent rapid weight gain.

Source: magnamags
    On Independence Day Here's wising our dreams of a new tomorrow come true for us NOW AND ALWAYS!

wow
    thanks for sharin' ! saira sis!
    main b moti ho gaye hoon aj kal bohat !

here are more!

21. Fake fry. Try"frying" with calorie-free cooking sprays instead of oil. Spray sliced potatoes and roast them in the oven for french fries that taste fried without the fat, suggests Manu.

22. Stock frozen veggies. With meat or tomato sauces, they are diet saviors. "I've been known to eat a whole bag of vegetables -- and with only a quarter cup of sauce, it's only about 3 grams of fat," says Maithili. "It's saved my butt many times when I was really hungry and had to eat now."

23. Flavor up. Rice, beans, and other cooked grains are the staples of many successful dieters. For variety, cook them in different liquids -- tomato juice, apple juice, beef or chicken stock. "Rice done in pineapple juice is especially good for rice puddings and Chinese dishes," she says.

24. Find the right support person. A nag won't do. Neither will a partner in crime. Look for someone who can empathize and support you in a positive way. When Ritu finally succeeded in losing weight, her fiance was a big help. "We didn't focus all our socializing around food. We went Brisk Walking a lot and played table tennis instead of going for Pav Bhaji."

25. Join a support group. "Hearing someone say she lost 20 kgs would be real motivating," says Rekha. "I'd think, She's just a normal person like me. If she can lose 20 then I can do it too.'"

26. Create your own group. "I started my first women's group when I first started exercising. It was just a bunch of women that got together once a week, and we would compare notes," says Depti, 44, who's 54 kgs slimmer than she was 13 years ago.

27. Be picky. "I'm not afraid to ask for dishes to be prepared differently," says Sheela. "My philosophy is that every restaurant has a grill and an oven. They don't have to fry everything."

28. It's not the Last Supper. This is not your last chance in life to have a particular food. "Those french fries will be there in a half hour if I really have to have them," says Depti. Or they'll be there next week.

29. Don't wait to doggy bag. "As soon as the maid puts the food down in front of me I cut the whole portion in half, put it on my butter plate, and ask her to wrap it," says Sheela. If you wait until the end of your meal, oftentimes you pick at it until the maid returns.

30. Tackle buffets. "I get only one tablespoon of everything," says Ritu. "Usually I don't even fill my plate, but I at least taste everything so I don't feel deprived."

Choose Football Over Gym
    Good news women! There’s a far more exciting way to lose those extra pounds than sweating it out in the gym. Research has shown that a game of football, say for an hour, can burn up to 683 calories in an hour. And this is 43 calories more than a woman would lose if she was doing a cross trainer.

A game of rigorous football, which requires agility and speed, works on the entire body, burning calories all the way. The rapid breathing, (remember Baba Ramdev’s Kapal Bharati), tones up the stomach muscles just as it tones up the muscles of the leg.

Not just weight loss. Playing football also improves the working of the heart and lungs.

However, some medical practitioners question the overall effectiveness of football as a way of losing weight, saying that the risk of injuries is too great. The twisting and tackling involved in the game makes women vulnerable to knee and ankle injuries.

However, the overall cardiovascular benefit of playing football, along with the accompanying weight loss, makes it a recommended form of exercise.

Five Golden Rules
    Are you considering embarking on a strict weight-loss regimen? Here are five simple golden rules you can remember…and watch the results on your weighing scale.

Drink around eight glasses of water through the day. In fact, one of the best ways to start your day is to have at least two glasses of water as soon as you wake up.

Watching your food intake helps to shed the kilos – but an easier way is to just reduce the quantity of your food (minus the desserts of course) by just 5-10%, and watch the benefits.

Savour every bite. If you eat slowly, you will feel satiated sooner than you think. Your stomach will signal that you are full, probably just halfway through the plate of food that you have served for yourself.

Leave a good 3-4 hours gap between dinner and hitting the bed. Your food should get enough time to get digested before your body goes on a 7-8 hours rest.

Remember, boredom is no excuse for overeating. If you are bored, don’t reach for the nearest cookie. Instead, occupy your mind with some work. Better still, go for a walk.

ggod tips girl