Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karakoram Highway of Pakistan & China (Travel with lee lau)

Deosai Plains is a high altitude plateau over 4000m high. A bunch of us hired this jeep for the day to wander around it. I got off the jeep at this "bridge" crossing to take this picture. The others got off because they were scared. Near Skardu, Pakistan

Its always the case that the poorest people in the countryside are the most friendly. Passu Glacier

Don't Mess With Me ! Americans who carry puny handguns are nothing compared to the tribal people of Pakistan who all pack machine guns. I borrowed this Russian AK-47 for my hike. Kaghan Valley in the Karakorams, Pakistan

Shepherds and farmers are stock-piling hay to feed their animals for the upcoming winter. Tarashing, Pakistan

Not many foreigners visit the mountains of Northern Pakistan. I was quite a novelty there. Karimabad, Pakistan

"Grass-haulers", a common sight in the hills. Human labour and time has almost zero value in these parts. Tarashing, Pakistan

Sandy & Andrew (UK), Brent (Yank) and myself on a day hike high above the Hunza Valley. Behind us is Rakaposhi (7784m), the most massive and awesome mountain I have ever seen. Karimabad, Pakistan

The spectacular south face of Lady Finger (6800m). Karimabad, Pakistan.

Baltit Fort is the former palace of the Mir, the ruler of this region before the British arrived. Karimabad, Pakistan

1000m above the lush green Hunza Valley. Pakistan

The people of the Hunza Valley do not look Pakistani at all. They are decendents of Alexander The Great's Army which marched through in 330 BC. Aima and Shamila smile happily for the camera. Karimabad, Pakistan (so innocent pretty face with beautiful names)

This is the main bridge crossing the raging glacier-fed Hunza River...and you thought Lions Gate Bridge was bad ! It is at least a 3 storey drop to the water below. What will kill you first, the drop or the cold ? passu

Brent makes his way slowly across the bridge. We didn't have to cross it but did it just for fun. Its pretty long, about 150m and took me a slow 20 mins. passu

After a short climb, I got this spectacular view of the 56km long Batura Glacier. The Karakoram Range has the largest glaciers in the world outside of the polar regions. They are the most spectacular mountains I have ever seen. Ridge-top near Passu, Pakistan

6100m Passu Peaks are considered minor peaks in the Karakorams. I carry a small table-top tripod when I travel. Set it up on a rock, start the timer and run. That way, I can be in some of my own pictures. Passu, Pakistan

While the men herd sheep in the hills, the women take care of the kids. Uyghur family, Karakul Lake, Xinjiang, China ( if i was there i will surely kidnap this cute kid so sweet)

Chicken anyone ? I still can't believe I never got sick once in 11 months in Asia. Gilgit, Pakistan

Muslim Uyghurs, Tajiks and Uzbeks outnumber Han Chinese in Western China. Kashgar, Xinjiang Province of China

Local Uyghur women really like having their picture taken. Weaving cloth on the pastures. Pamir foothills, Xinjiang, China

walking the goats. Kashgar, China

10 years ago, I would have surely been arrested for this. Kashgar, China

Mustagh Ata (7546 m) and the Pamir foothills, Xinjiang, China

Camels on the 3300m high plains of Western China ? Hard to believe. This is the same region Genghiz Khan rampaged through 700 years ago. Xinjiang, China

Karakul Lake on the flanks of the massive Mustagh Ata (7546m). This is possibly the most beautiful place I have ever been to. I spent 2 days here only seeing the odd camel and a handful of local Uyghur shepherds. They were quite surprised to see this strange looking foreigner strolling about. The 2 months I spent on the Karakoram Highway of Pakistan and China was by far the highlight of my trip and the best time of my life. Xinjiang Province in the remote western corner of China

nice pics...thanks for sharing them aragon...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

very nice pics..thnks for shring

kool..thanx 4 sharing
    ~Ye Dard Ka Tufaan Guzra kyu nahi..Dil Toot Gayaa Hai To Bikhra kyu nahi..Ek Hi Shakhs Ko Chahta Hai kyu Itna..Koi Dusra Is Dil Me Utarta kyu nahi~

thx for linking ..Pakistan is sooooo beautiful

no doubt..pakistan is so beautiful...thanks 4 sharing ...loved to know more abt it in this post...keep it up arogan..u r coming up with awesome threads in this section...:up;

so beautifull place.. keep sharin