Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drug culture in Pakistan

Excuse me if I sound unconventional today. The issue that I want all of you to discuss has already taken it's toll on the younger generation of Pakistan. Let me tell you a fact: Of every three persons (belonging to nearly every profession) I meet in my day to day life here in Pakistan, one is a drug addict. Thanks to the Afghani migrants for giving us guns, accusations, and drugs in exchange of love, shelter, and tax exemptions.

Who am I to blame here? The law enforcement agencies are corrupt to the core and the Government itself has done next to nothing in curbing this menace. Hash (charas) in particular is more conveniently available than a glass of purified water. Oh and it's not just limited to the (dominant?) male gender - females enjoy equality too.

In this land of hypocrisy, people don't discuss what they do in their drawing rooms. Take sex or drugs as an instance. It's a taboo and will remain one, unless we take an initiative on the grass root level. We need to educate our younger generation and not just leave it on the swinging penedulum to decide their fate. Awareness here is the key and I just hope that this so called free-media takes it into consideration.

Got opinions, comments, or suggestions? I am all ears.
    Dream, I do.

Jahan tak mujhe pata hai.. to drugs sirf Pakistan me nahi...balke har country mein use kiye jaate hain...shayad Pakistan mein kuch ziada coz wahan drugs or aisi chizo ke baare mein educate nai kia jata...and they dont knw how dangerous it is..

and drugs are a crime...kuch log smuggle karte hain and kuch log drugs ke effects ki wajah se crime karte hain...becoz drugs change their behaviour...

But in Pak...do most people not kno the dangers of taking drugs?
    ~Ye Dard Ka Tufaan Guzra kyu nahi..Dil Toot Gayaa Hai To Bikhra kyu nahi..Ek Hi Shakhs Ko Chahta Hai kyu Itna..Koi Dusra Is Dil Me Utarta kyu nahi~

They don't sis. Let me give you some stats:

According to certain studies the number of drug users in Pakistan is four million while 40 percent of drug users are said to experiment with drugs for first time are between the age of 15 to 22 years. In Karachi alone 40 people a day are dying of drug abuse.
    40 people die of drug abuse in a day in Karachi - 12 April 2002

A young addict in Karachi:

There are about 14,000 street children in Karachi and most are sniffing glue, said Aksa Zainab, a social worker who helps street kids at a drop-in centre operated by the Azad Foundation in cooperation with UNICEF.

“According to our research, 90 percent of these children are involved in glue sniffing or in some other solvent abuse,” Zainab added.
    Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Almost 60% of the total population of Pakistan is involved in drug addiction. The number, which is rising alarmingly, includes those addicted to all forms of contraband drugs, alcohol, tranquilizers and anti-depressants. Almost all sections of the society have fallen victims to this evil. The educated class, which is perceived to be aware of the ill-effects of the drugs is the worstly affected. According to researches, 60 per cent of the total addicts in the country are literate and employed. With regard to the occupational categorization of drug addicts, the ratio is: labour class 53.3 per cent, sales persons 14.1 per cent, agriculture workers 10.9 per cent and students 11.4 per cent. Punjab is the worst hit province having 45 per cent of the total four million addicts. More the 71 per cent of the addicts are between 25 and 30 years
    Youth Concern: The rising toll of drug addicts

As per United nations office on drugs crime:

Pakistan is one of the countries hardest hit by narcotics abuse in the world. According to national drug abuse surveys, the number of chronic abusers of heroin increased from about 20,000 in 1980 to more than 1.5 million in the late 1990's.

Drugs in the region are mostly ingested orally; heroin is usually smoked or the smoke is inhaled. In Pakistan, a small number of heroin injection cases have begun to emerge in the Karachi area. This practice -- previously unknown in the subregion -- has been observed in recent studies and raises concerns about the increase risk of transmitting blood-borne diseases, such as hepatitis and HIV/AIDS, through the process of needle sharing
    UNODC Country Office, Pakistan - Country Profile
    Dream, I do.

Wow, these stats r crazy...thats just such a shame that so many people do this. Not even education, there is probably another reoson causing so many people to using drugs
    ~Ye Dard Ka Tufaan Guzra kyu nahi..Dil Toot Gayaa Hai To Bikhra kyu nahi..Ek Hi Shakhs Ko Chahta Hai kyu Itna..Koi Dusra Is Dil Me Utarta kyu nahi~

thoes stats are pretty wack...
    i think yassi sis they call the reason "stress".. tht's wut a drug user/smoker usually says wen u ask em why they do it...

IMO it's more peer pressure than stress. The stress-free younger generation in particular takes it as a fashion statement. The real culprits here are lack of education and resources for those who'd want to achieve.
    Dream, I do.

its not in the pakistan only its also in saudia arabia ...here the goverment has striked about drugs but ..every year the drugs come in this country ...about 100 crore riyals drugs come in saudia arabia ... my friend who works in police he told me all this stuff ...
    but here the drugs addictors have a pain full punishment ...'the goverment was were striked about it but ...it cant stop...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Endurer, post: 315899
    Oh my God...kya bane ga in logo ka:s

Superb topic, yeh sub hamari aankhoon ke saamne hoota hea phir bhi koi awaz nahi uthata,well done bro.
    But what should we do to keep ourself n our families "clean"?
    And how can we help these people to stop taking drugs?