Thread: Job Interview Tips (Part II) - Preparing for Those Common Job Interview Questions

Preparing for Those Common Job Interview Questions

Preparing for a job interview begins with doing your homework. You applied for a specific job for a reason, so make sure your interviewer knows this. First, obtain any information you can about the job description, application process, salary and benefits, etc. Often the human resources department can help you with that. Then get online or to the library and read up on the company, its history, the industry, the company’s competition, and the employers, especially the interviewer, if possible. Also, make sure you bring a couple copies of your resume and a portfolio of your work if appropriate (but wait for the interviewer to ask for it). The more prepared you are, the better.

Common Questions

Every company has specific job interview questions they like to ask job candidates, and how you prepare for those questions can make or break you in a job interview. Here is a sample of list of possible job interview questions:

"Tell me about yourself?"
    "Why do you want to work here?"
    "Describe a bad situation and how you dealt with it?"
    "Why should we hire you?"
    "What are your strengths and weaknesses?"
    "Where do you see yourself in several years?"

After looking at these, now do you see the importance of doing your homework and practicing your answers? When responding to these possible job interview questions, talk generally in terms of work and the company rather than answers stemming from your personal life, and keep answers less than 60 seconds. Write down your answers if necessary and practice answering them to yourself or to a friend or family member.

Turn Negatives into Positives
    Interviewees often trap themselves by answering one of these common job interview questions or some other one with a negative response. For example, a question like “Why did you leave your old company?” can turn into a five minute rant about why you hated your previous boss. Or the interviewer asks if you know a certain skill and you reply simply with “No, I don’t know how to do that.” With questions that have a potential negative answer, learn how to spin it into something positive.

To answer a bad boss question, be as diplomatic as possible and keep your disdain minimal and general while then stating something positive. An appropriate answer to the skill question is to be honest but tell them you’re a quick learner and respond to challenges well.

Ask Not What the Company Can Do For You…
    …Ask what you can do for the company. A common mistake interviewees often make is trying too hard to sell themselves. Don’t have the mindset that you’re doing them a favor if they hire you. When they ask, “Why should we hire you?” a better response than rattling off all of your personal and professional achievements is to relate it back to how those accomplishments will contribute to bettering their company.

Show Me the Money
    To negotiate a salary, don’t just walk into an interview announcing that you’ll take nothing less than double the figure they’re offering. Be familiar with the rules on how to negotiate this often touchy subject.

First, familiarize yourself with what kind of salary people in your same field are making. Next, have a range in mind, from what would be the very minimal you want or need, to what may be a long shot. Never talk about what the salary is until the interviewer does, and if you have all of the information you need about the job, you can give a range and mention that it’s the total compensation package you’re more concerned with.

Good luck in all of your job interviews!

Do You Make a Good First Impression?
    As the old saying goes, you can’t judge a book by its cover...but people do it all the time! Sure, it’s unfair, but first impressions can haunt you forever. Like it or not, your attitude, appearance and overall demeanor say a lot about you. What is yours saying?

nice one thnx for the info ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by aragon, post: 319167
    ur welcome
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetablevn, post: 403942
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
    Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Common interview questions