Thread: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

lyricist: U2
    producer: Steve Lillywhite

U2 released 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb', their first new studio album in four years, this week supported by a hectic promotional campaign. Most notably, the past couple of months saw a number of deals with Apple [advertisements, a special edition iPod, and a 446 song collection on iTunes]. In the week before last Tuesday's release the band made appearances at the Bill Clinton Presidential Library and on Saturday Night Live. They also took over the original 'City of Blinding Lights' on Monday, filming a video for 'All Because of You' driving through Manhattan, and then performing a 'surprise' concert for around 3,000 fans from the back of a truck in Brooklyn.

Their ubiquity certainly supports recent claims about U2's status as rock's last superpower [MOJO Magazine]. But, more importantly, so does their music.

The album very much follows the shift in direction signalled by 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'. The electronica and the club beats of 'Pop' are given up for the Edge's ringing bells [cleverly disguised as guitars], twisting through and rising above a steady, solid layer of bass lines and drums. The band makes good use of blips, beeps, and curious whirring noises to bring the atmosphere to its sonic saturation point. Bono is in top form both vocally, hitting the high notes at will. The Fly, Mister MacPhisto, and the Mirrorball Man are no more - it's just the boys playing rock 'n' roll.

With at least two songs ['Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' & 'One Step Closer'] directly related to the death of Bono's father, and with anthems of love, war, peace, and mortality, the record is certainly high in emotional content. But these are feelings with a rock 'n' roll soundtrack. As the band's Christian faith provides a great deal of thematic coherence [with 'Vertigo' & 'Yahweh' serving as bookends], Bono's kneeling to distortion.

'Miracle Drug', 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', and 'Original Of The Species' are mellow stand outs. 'Love And Peace Or Else' has an intimidating bass line, is reminiscent of the masterful 'Achtung, Baby', and is also my favourite of the 11. From the first 1:20 of 'City Of Blinding Lights' I'd guess that's 'Where The Streets Have No Name'. 'Crumbs From Your Table' references AIDS in Africa amidst some of the Edge's most shimmering guitar work.

Although the may seem slightly formulaic at times, with little of the experimentation that defined the band's second decade, the lyrical content more than picks up the slack, and makes 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' a delightful serving of U2's special recipe.

By Asad Siddiqui

I love U2, they have some great memorable hits.

One of the few Rock bands that make some good music..

Looking forward to their new album...

Thanxx for informin' me Payal

you are most elcome snaz, and yes i too love u2, especially "the joshua tree".

I love : Where The Streets Have No Name

But an all time favourite from them is DESIRE.... the remixes that followed were gr8 too..

surely gonna listen them now ..

where can I find its video for downloading? I am a new user

album isn't available yet in the local market of my city :s
    Dream, I do.

& can anyone of u upload this album to this site , or pls tell me where to request songs .