Thread: Funny Email Conversation

My job as systems admin is to maintain pretty much every aspect dealing with our computer network. Below is an email conversation I had with one of the users in our call center. Fittingly, he is a supervisor of tech support for our product.

His reply was to me alone but after seeing what he wrote I had to copy in the entire company on my reply.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 12:59 PM
    To:
    Subject: Computer Updates
    Importance: High

All,

Every computer here should be setup to download Windows updates automatically every morning at 3a.m. IT is responsible for making sure the updates are scheduled correctly but I need everyone to leave their computers powered on every night and weekend. You can log off and / or lock the computer but leave the power on.

Of course we will not leave the computers on if inclement weather is in the forecast.

Thank you,
    John C.
    Systems Administrator

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 3:13 PM
    To: John C
    Subject: RE: Computer Updates

Isn't that bad for the economy and bad for our budget? Wouldn't we save power if we turned the computers off every night?

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 12:59 PM
    To:
    Subject: Computer Updates
    Importance: High

Actually, NO. Turning the computer on in the morning creates a surge that is equal to or greater than a full day's power consumption. Also, having the mechanical parts of the computer stop, start, stop, start, and cool off, warm up, cool off, warm up, is pretty bad on the computer. We would be shortening the life of the computers and having to buy replacements sooner. $$$

Not getting your automatic updates means you may miss security updates which means your computer could be open to hackers who may steal confidential company information and bankrupt the company. And don't even get me started on the identity theft almost 100 people would lose their jobs, livelihoods and identities. Credit scores would be ruined and quite possibly this could start a chain reaction that pushes the state of Mississippi into a perilous plummet to financial doom. And you know the Russians are gearing up for another cold war. They could use a strong hold like MS to further their agenda, further increasing the risk of WW III.

Leave the computer on.

Thank you,
    John C.
    Systems Administrator

i m sorry..i didnot understand...but thanks 4 sharing...