Thread: What is Social Anxiety?

What is Social Anxiety?

Social anxiety disorder, also known as social phobia, is an intense fear of social situations. This fear arises when the individual believes that they may be judged, scrutinized or humiliated by others. The anxiety can be specific to one social situation or can be more general in nature. Feelings of fear, shame and embarrassment are common. It should not be confused with being shy or shyness.

Common anxiety provoking social situations include:

* talking with people in authority
    * dating and developing close relationships
    * making a phone call or answering the phone
    * interviewing
    * attending and participating in class
    * speaking with strangers
    * meeting new people
    * eating, drinking, or writing in public
    * using public bathrooms
    * driving
    * shopping

Physical symptoms that may occur during, or in anticipation of, the situation include:

* rapid heartbeat
    * sweating
    * muscle tension
    * upset stomach
    * trembling
    * shaky voice
    * dry mouth
    * blushing
    * queasiness
    * ticks
    * hyper ventilation
    * difficulty making eye contact

In extreme cases this intense uneasiness can progress into a full blown panic attack. The victim may experience shortness of breath, heart palpitations, numbness in hands and feet, or even a sense of being outside of ones own body.

The level of mental and physical discomfort is so strong that individuals often change their lifestyle to avoid being exposed to the situation. Changes that may result include dropping out of school, unemployment, alcohol or drug abuse, not leaving the house, suicidal thoughts, and avoiding relationships.

Social anxiety disorder may be associated with other psychiatric disorders, such as panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and depression
    How common is it?

Social anxiety disorder is the third most common psychiatric disorder in the United States behind depression and alcoholism. It is estimated that over 10 million Americans, or about 7% of the population, suffer from this condition.

Where does it come from?

There is no single known cause for social anxiety disorder, but studies point toward both biological and psychological factors.
    Possible causes include:

* heredity
    * biology
    * family upbringing
    * conditioning
    * stressful lifestyle

What treatments are available?

To overcome anxiety is it important to realize that we must heal ourselves both mentally and physically.

* Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT) is the most popular treatment for this disorder. It addresses both cognitive and behavioral issues.
    * The cognitive portion attempts to change negative thinking patterns.These patterns can have a direct effect on how a person feels in certain social situations.
    * The behavioral portion attempts to weaken the connection between troublesome situations and how you react to them. It does this by gradually introducing the person back into the situation in a scheduled, steady manner.
    * Physical Healing
    * Exercise
    * Relaxation
    * Dietary considerations

* Medication

o Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) Antidepressant medications
    o Benzodiazepine Tranquilizers
    o Cyclic Antidepressants
    o Other Antidepressants
    o Beta-Blockers

Discussing these issues with a licensed therapist may be the best way to find out what options are best for you.
    I M What i Call i m "i m Loaded hell"
    http://www.123glitter.com/comments-g...file/11208.gif

Thanks for sharing such a Knowledge ... Keep it up
    If Every Word I said could make You Smile I'll talk ForEvEr, If every Word I Write could make You Smile I'll Write ForEvEr
    ~WaMiQ~

thanks you. . . . . . . . . . . . . .4 shearing. . . . . . . . . . . . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very well written post. I cam to know many useful tips from your post. Great share.

Social anxiety and others and the self-consciousness and evaluation of social inferiority, and automatically makes the fear the interaction. Social anxiety first occurs in infancy, is said to be normal and necessary emotion, to the effective operation and development of the social aspects of growth.