Thread: Head Coach: Miracle-Gro for Your Mind

Head Coach: Miracle-Gro for Your Mind

In 1971, when I was 26, I bought a farm. Never mind that I had a full-time job, was finishing my PhD, and knew nothing about farming except what I read in Mother Earth News. But I figured out how to grow crops, fix a tractor, and raise livestock. I didn't sleep a lot, but it was exciting to be learning so much. Likewise, in 1997, I bought a ranch in Zimbabwe. People thought that was strange, and it completely shook up my life, but I loved it, and it forever changed my way of looking at the world. And just this past Christmas, instead of spending the holidays with family as we've done for decades, my wife and I took a cruise to Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Thailand.

Although I undertook these adventures for many reasons, they all have one thing in common: They satisfy the brain's instinctual urge--almost like a thirst or hunger--for new experience. Animal studies have shown us that the brain rewards novelty by releasing a pleasure-inducing chemical called dopamine. Learning is reinforced because it's essential to helping the brain grow and thrive. Here's the best part: If you seek out new experiences throughout life, your brain will keep growing--sprouting new cells (neurons) and the branches between them (dendrites)--no matter your age.

Science has visual evidence of this process. Thanks to MRI technology, we can see learning centers in the human brain light up and witness the birth of neural pathways when we try something new. These signs of activity and growth are visible even in the elderly. Although you may learn new things more slowly as you get older, your capacity is largely unchanged. What's really exciting is that new experiences needn't be dramatic or life changing to have these effects. Everyday novelty--even seemingly inconsequential acts--can benefit your brain and literally expand your mind. So let's get started. Here are some simple ways to break routine habits that may be prematurely aging your brain. Once you understand the logic involved, you'll be able to create other little ways of introducing more novelty into your life. And just like with physical exercise, the more you can do, the more you'll benefit. Put a new spin on old routines:
    • Brush your teeth using the opposite hand.
    • Reverse your usual walking, running, or biking route.
    • Trade in your favorite game.
    • If you love crosswords, do Sudoku or learn to play one of the dozens of brain-training games on your computer.
    • Eat at an ethnic restaurant.
    • Rearrange your furniture.
    • Start planning to visit a new place this weekend, even if it's just in the next county.
    • Grab that recipe you clipped and head to a different grocery store to shop for ingredients.

If you do even a few of these things in a single day, you'll be amazed at how all this newfound knowledge enriches your life. I may never be a great farmer, but I do have a neverending store of tips on the best ways to fix a tractor.

WoW..great ones..I shall try to follow some
    http://www.desitwist.com/signaturepics/sigpic8918_2.gif
    On the new avenue of life, searching out new horizons..

inshaALLAH...