As Salaam o Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barkatuh!

A`uzu billahis Samee`il`Aleem,
minash shaytanir rajeem!
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem!

Wa Salaatu wa Salaam
`alaa Rasulullah-
Salallahu `Alayhi wa Sallam

Shaytaan makes false promises and arouses high hopes

'He (Shaytan) makes promises to them, and arouses in them false desires; and Shaytan's promises are nothing but deceptions.' [Soorah an-Nisa (4): 120]

On the Day of the battle of Badr, Shaytan came to the disbelievers in the form of Suraqah ibn Malik and promised them victory, power, glory and dominion. He started with planting pride in their hearts by telling them that they are the most powerful and they will be victorious over the Muslims, who were less in number. He beautified their strength for them and gave them a hope of victory and promised to fight the Muslims alongside them, 'And (remember) when Shaytan made their (evil) deeds seem fair to them and said, 'No one of mankind can overcome you this day (of the battle of Badr)'

The Mushrikeen, thus, set out to fight the Muslims with pride in their hearts and reliance upon Shaytan. 'But when the two forces came in sight of each other, he ran away and said, 'Verily, I have nothing to do with you. Verily! I see what you see not. Verily! I fear Allah for Allah is Severe in punishment.' [Soorah al-Anfal (8): 48]

~ An interesting story of Shaytan's false promises and his deceit is narrated from the People of the Book and is reported by Ibn Jareer in the Tafseer of Soorah al-Hashr, we quote it here to learn some lessons from it.

There was a worshiper among the Children of Israel, who worshipped Allah for sixty years. Shaytan tried his best to mislead this man but he could not. He tried his trick on one woman and made her mad. He then advised her brothers to take her to the priest for a possible cure. The brothers agreed and by Allah's Permission, the priest was able to cure the woman's madness. One day while the priest was with her, Shaytan beautified and adorned this woman in his eyes, and prompted evil thoughts in the mind of the priest, which lead to his committing adultery with her. The woman became pregnant, and out of fear he killed her (this again was due to Shaytan's advice)...

When the brothers came to know this, they decided to kill him, and at that moment Shaytan appeared to the priest and told him that he was in reality, who plotted all this against him, and nobody could rescue him from it except him. He told him that if the priest prostrated to him just once, he would rescue him, and when the priest prostrated, Shaytan freed himself from him and ran away, and the priest was killed and died in a state of disbelief for prostrating to other than Allah.

Allah says in Soorah al-Hashr (59): 16, 'Like Shaytan, when he says to man, 'Disbelieve in Allah.' But when (man) disbelieves in Allah, Shaytan says, 'I am free of you, I fear Allah, the Lord of the Alameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!'

On the Day of Judgment, after Shaytan will have drowned his followers and betrayed his promises, he will drag his followers to Hell-fire and reveal unto them the truth from which the Qur'aan had warned them against. He will address them and declare his deceptive promises,

'And Shaytan will say when the matter has been decided, 'Verily, Allah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, and you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me as a partner with Allah (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers). ' [Soorah Ibraheem (14): 22]

Taken from As-Sunnah Newsletter - http://www.qsep. com
As-Sunnah Vol. 2 Issue No. 11

Quranic Dua

English Transliteration

"Rabbi a'uzubika min hamazatish Shaytaane
Wa a'uzubika Rabbi anyehzuroon"
(Quran surah 23:Ayah 97-98)

English Translation

And pray: 'My Lord! I seek your refuge from the suggestions of the evil ones; I even seek Your refuge, my Lord, lest they should approach me.'
(23:97-98)

(Aameen)

Wassalamu Alaykum Wr Wb,
Your sister and well wisher in Islam,
Umme Safoora