Thread: 10 Tips to Keep Your PC In TipTop Shape

Your PC :type: represents a large investment for you. But hands up, those of you who worry about your PC crashing, the CPU overheating, the hard disk failing or the monitor zonking out when you need it most.

Many computer users worry about these and more - so here are ten tips to help your PC hum along trouble-free.

Apply them on a routine basis and I'm sure you'll see a difference in your computing experience!

1. Get Rid of Dust
    One of the most common causes of overheating is dust and dirt. So you need to keep your system clean, inside and out. Try to clean it once a year using lint-free wipes. Make sure you use an antistatic wrist strap as well to protect your system when cleaning inside the case.

2. Get Power Protection
    One of the saddest things in many PCs is that they are not surge protected. Surge protectors are a good investment - they protect your PC from that unfortunate power outage or lightning strike. Try to get one that has a warning indicator and is UL 1449 certified.

3. Turn Off the Monitor
    One tip I always apply at home - turn off the PC monitor when its not in use. I treat the computer monitor like a TV - don't waste your monitor's power if you're not using it. This is especially important in LCD monitors, which may burn out or get bad pixels after long periods of use.

4. Keep the PC Running
    Many people don't realize that its harmful to power up your computer from a cold state. This is especially true when done repeatedly within a short timeframe. Try to leave your PC running as long as possible - or use the Microsoft Windows' Power Management settings to put your machine into hibernation rather than completely shutting down.

5. Hard Drive Health Check
    If you use Windows XP, you should regularly check your hard disk's health with an error-checking utility. In Windows Explorer, click on the drive's icon, select Properties -> Tools -> Check Now. If the check discovers several hundred errors, your drive could be full of bad sectors - you'd best backup your important data and then try to get it repaired.

6. Get an Anti-Virus Program
    I still find it amazing that many home computer users do not have an anti-virus program installed. This piece of software is fundamental to any computer system. You should definitely consider getting a program like Norton Antivirus to protect against harmful attacks.

7. Check the CMOS battery
    If you have a very old PC (four or five years old), the CMOS battery on the motherboard may need to be replaced. The first sign of a bad CMOS battery is when your system clock starts losing time.

8. Take Care when Opening the Case
    Whenever you open the PC case, turn off the power and unplug your PC. Ground yourself first - by touching anything inside the PC to avoid destroying your circuit boards with a static charge. Another option is to wear a grounding wrist strap. I've destroyed my computer power supply before because I forgot about this point.

9. Maintain the Mouse
    What's one of the dirtiest components in a PC that you come in contact with? Yes - it's the modest little mouse. Years of using a mouse will get it filled with dirt and grime.

If you have a mechanical mouse, you'll realize this when the mouse starts to move erratically. To clean it, unscrew the mouse and use a small scraper to scrape the dirt off the two plastic rollers inside. Also remember to clean the scroll wheel if there is one. If you have a optical mouse, you need not worry about any internal rollers but you still need to clean the scroll wheel.

10. Clean Up the Registry
    If you always add and remove computer programs in your PC, you can be sure the entries in your Windows Registry are pretty much in a mess. A clogged Windows Registry increases the time your PC boot up time and hogs system resources. Try to get a tool to help clean the registry safely, such as Registry Mechanic. Do not try to clean the registry yourself if you're not sure what you're doing.

Conclusion
    I hope this article has given you many ideas on how to keep your good old PC in tiptop shape. Remember, take care of your PC and it will take care of you. Apply these tips once in a while to ensure a trouble-free computer system.

Hope All This Helps..ray:

Please Reply If You Like the Post

nice tips..one should really take of computer..when using everyday...