Question

Du'a after Salat

Is it Bid'ah to say Du'a after each Salaat?

Fatwa
Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said to Mu'az Ibn Jabal : "Always say: O Allah! Help me to remember You, thank You and worship You well after each prayer" [ Ahmad , Abu Dawood and al-Nasa'i ].
Scholars of Islam differ concerning the meaning of "after each prayer" in this Hadith and the like.
Some scholars believe that "after each prayer" means after finishing the prayer with pronouncing Salaam.
This opinion, without a doubt, has a favored position and it is the opinion of the majority of Muslim scholars.
Other scholars, Ibn Taymiyah and Ibn al-Qayyim from among them, believe that "after each prayer" means before finishing the prayer with pronouncing Salaam.
This last opinion is strong since it is supported by the following dominant points:
1 - In most cases the phrase "after each prayer" means a portion that is part and parcel of something, i.e. a part of the prayer itself.
2 - Report of the Prophet's (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) habitual actions after prayers are only confirmed to seeking forgiveness, saying "La Ilah Illa Allah" and "Glorification of Allah". In other words, we have no narrations that include supplications after prayers directly.
3 - It is better to make Du'a (supplications) within the prayer than outside it.
Therefore, we say it is better to make Du'a before pronouncing Salaam at the end of prayer. At the same time, one can make Du'a after finishing the prayer, but one is advised not to do that perpetually since it is not reported from the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). However, one can make Du'a after the stressed forms of Zikr that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) was used to pronouncing them. Thus, it becomes clear that making Du'a for oneself, i.e. individually, does not constitute a Bid'ah.
As for Du'a in congregation, such a form is not reported in the Sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) nor the practice of any of his companions. This means that the best guidance is that which is taken from the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam).
He (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "Whoever does an act that is not in accordance with our faith, it is to be rejected" [Reported by Imams Bukhari and Muslim ].
Allah knows best.