Page 43 of 212 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Top Islamic News (DAILY)

Military operations supported by the US in northwestern Pakistan have displaced nearly 2.4 million people, the UN and government officials has said.

Heavy strikes on the region by Pakistan's military and also air strikes by the US drones have taken a heavy toll, killing many civilians in the region.

"In the new influx, 2.38 million people have been registered," Ariane Rummery, spokeswoman for the UNHCR (The UN High Commissioner for Refugees) said.

Pakistan's Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira has also acknowledged that 2.3 million people have been displaced, noting that the numbers could further increase.

Rights groups have warned that it is Pakistan's biggest movement of people since its separation from India in 1947.

Pakistan claims more than 1000 militants and 50 soldiers have been killed in a three-week conflict against militants in the country. However, there are also reports suggesting that civilians are the main victims of the army-militant conflict.

The militants have neither confirmed nor denied the claims.
    Source: Press TV

A powerful car bomb outside the main police station in the Pakistani city of Lahore has killed at least 23 people and injured scores, police say.

The blast on the Mall Road destroyed a police emergency response building and TV stations are showing a collapsed building and gutted vehicles.

A car driven by a suspected suicide bomber smashed through a barrier and exploded, officials said.

An attack on police in Lahore in March was claimed by Taliban militants.

Pakistan's army has been battling the insurgents in their stronghold in the Swat valley, in the north-west, and there have been fears of Taliban retaliation.

'Surreal scene'

A regional health official put the death toll at 30 and the number of injured at 116, although these figures are unconfirmed.

BBC map

Police commandos were seen arresting a man after the explosion.

The blast was powerful enough to shear walls off buildings in the main business district of Lahore.

Several high-security buildings, including offices of the local police chief and the Inter-Services Intelligence service (ISI) are in the area, and the ISI building was damaged.

Zubair, a BBC News website reader in Lahore, described hearing the explosion:

"I was sitting in my office on Lawrence Road [about 500m from the site] when a huge explosion rocked our entire building.

"Glass windows shattered to pieces and the ceiling came down on the floor. I ran outside the building to nearby Jinnah Garden. I could hear gunfire which lasted for about 10 minutes and then I saw ambulance and police rushed to the scene."

Matthias Gattermeier, an Austrian reader also in Lahore, said his office building had been shaken so hard he thought it would collapse.

"We first thought the explosion happened far closer by, but the blast was just so massive," he said.

"I ran out of the building and saw a surreal huge ring of white smoke rise into air. Within minutes police and military blocked the streets. Disaster units and emergency are going in and out in every minute. The streets are full of people."

Lahore, Pakistan's second-largest city, has seen bomb attacks with increasing frequency.

Weeks before a police college was attacked in March, with eight people killed, militants attacked the Sri Lanka cricket team in the city, killing six police guards.

BBC

N Korea threatens military action
    N Korean military officers celebrate the nuclear test at Pyongyang Indoor Stadium on 26 May (KCNA)
    North Korea's military celebrated the controversial nuclear and missile tests

North Korea has warned of a military response after South Korea joined an anti-proliferation exercise which could allow it to search the North's ships.

The North said it is no longer bound by the armistice which ended the Korean War in 1953.

A military spokesman quoted by official media said Pyongyang could no longer guarantee the safety of shipping.

Its latest threat comes after an underground nuclear test two days ago and several missile launches.

The United Nations Security Council is working on a strong condemnation of what it says is North Korea's contravention of its rules.

Meanwhile steam is reported to be coming from North Korea's main nuclear reprocessing plant at Yongbyon, suggesting it has made good on its threat to restart efforts to make weapons-grade plutonium.

Anti proliferation

South Korea announced on Tuesday that it would not delay any longer in joining the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) - a US-led non-proliferation campaign involving searching ships carrying suspicious cargos and aimed at stopping the trafficking of weapons of mass destruction.

r test and missile launches in North Korea

Your views: Should world worry?
    Reaction from around the region
    What is N Korea's game plan?
    Factfile: Underground testing

North Korea has repeatedly warned that the South's participation in the PSI would be tantamount to a declaration of war.

Joining the PSI "is a natural obligation", South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan said, quoted by South Korea's Yonhap news agency. "It will help control North Korea's development of dangerous material."

North Korea's response has been firm.

"Any hostile act against our peaceful vessels including search and seizure will be considered an unpardonable infringement on our sovereignty, and we will immediately respond with a powerful military strike," a spokesman for the North's army was quoted as saying by the official KCNA news agency.

Reactivated reprocessing?

North Korea has fired five short-range missiles in two days, despite strong censure from the international community, including China and Russia.

NUCLEAR CRISIS
    Oct 2006 - North Korea conducts an underground nuclear test
    Feb 2007 - North Korea agrees to close its main nuclear reactor in exchange for fuel aid
    June 2007 - North Korea shuts its main Yongbyon reactor
    June 2008 - North Korea makes its long-awaited declaration of nuclear assets
    Oct 2008 - The US removes North Korea from its list of countries which sponsor terrorism
    Dec 2008 - Pyongyang slows work to dismantle its nuclear programme after a US decision to suspend energy aid
    Jan 2009 - The North says it is scrapping all military and political deals with the South, accusing it of "hostile intent"
    April 2009 - Pyongyang launches a rocket carrying what it says is a communications satellite
    25 May 2009 - North Korea conducts a second nuclear test

Q&A: North Korea nuclear test
    What are N Korea's motives?

The North announced last month it was quitting a six-nation nuclear disarmament agreement and would reopen the Yongbyon plant, closed in July 2007 as part of a disarmament deal.

That threat last month was prompted, it said, by the UN Security Council's censure of North Korea's 5 April rocket launch.

Washington is calling for a quick and unified response by the international community that will make it clear to North Korea that there are consequences for its actions.

Diplomats from the five permanent Security Council member countries plus Japan and South Korea have been meeting behind closed doors to discuss a new resolution.

"We are thinking through complicated issues that require very careful consideration," said the US ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice.

US State Department spokesman Ian Kelly also said the door was still open to resume long-running six-party talks and that the US was looking at a "whole range of options".

It is a sign of the delicate balance required to handle the reclusive country, the BBC's State Department correspondent Kim Ghattas reports from Washington.

China shares a border with North Korea and worries about pushing Pyongyang too far, so it is unclear what sort of measures might be taken now and how North Korea would respond, our correspondent adds.

This week's test and missile launches came after North Korea walked away from long-running disarmament talks.

It agreed in February 2007 to abandon its nuclear ambitions in return for aid and diplomatic concessions.

But the negotiations stalled as it accused its negotiating partners - the US, South Korea, Japan, China and Russia - of failing to meet agreed obligations.

CAIRO —Bleak economic conditions are leaving African immigrants in the US more and more disillusioned with the American dream that they prefer a typical life back home in Africa over that in recession-era America. "I personally know many people who are going back," Erastus Mong'are, a program manager for an insurance company in Delaware and a Somali immigrant, told the Washington Post on Tuesday, May 26.

Recent studies affirmed that immigrant professionals from Africa are increasingly leaving the US and heading to their home countries.

Diaspora associations of Nigerians, Ghanaians, Kenyans and other Africans say their members are on an exodus, choosing life in their modest homeland villages and cities over the pressures of living in the US amid a worsened recession.

"The people I know here work two or three jobs just to make ends meet, while in Kenya -- despite its problems -- people seem more happy,” Mong'are, who heads an association of Kenyans living in Delaware, said.

“They seem to be getting more time with family, more relaxed.”

The return to Africa is in line with studies saying that much of the continent has been buoyed in recent years by a sense of optimism driven by economic growth.

A recent study by Pew Research Center has found that people's level of satisfaction with their quality of life is rising across much of Africa, while it has stayed level or decreased in the US.

Not only Africans. Chinese and Indian workers are also seen increasingly heading home where they find better opportunities and lifestyles.

The US fell into the grip of the worst economic crisis since 1930s in September after the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the fourth-largest investment bank, and the financial woes of a number of Wall Street giants.

The fallout has developed into a full-fledged recession, threatening personal finances as home prices fall, retirement funds shrink and access to credit and jobs evaporate.

American Life

James Odhiambo, 33, is one of those who have joined the tidal wave of exodus out of the land of opportunity.

Earlier this year, Odhiambo deserted his upwardly mobile life in the Dallas suburbs and moved with his family to his hometown western Kenyan city of Kisumu.

"Think of it this way: When I was in the US, I was close to 300 pounds. Now, I'm like 200.”

But for Odhiambo, who arrived to the US in the 1990s, the recent economic turmoil only confirmed a decision he had been mulling for a while; to desert the stress of living the “American dream” and seek a healthier lifestyle for his family.

“The biggest thing for me was quality of life. Right now I'm no stress, no anxiety,” he says while relaxing in his family home in Kenya.

Back in the US, Odhiambo worked 14-hour shifts trying to keep up with his $800 monthly rent, payments on a new car, health insurance and piles and piles of bills driven by must-haves.

"I couldn't get any exercise at all, and I was restricted to truck stops for food," he recalls.

"I'd go for the buffet -- meat with gravy, fried chicken -- or fast food. I didn't have time for my daughters.”

More over, his daughters were approaching school age and he and his wife were alarmed by regular reports of shootings at schools, churches or offices.

Finally, they made the decision, packed their bags and headed back to Africa.

As he drove down Kisumu roads, Odhiambo instantly sensed the difference.

"Here, if you have a car, you'll share it with four or five people," he said. "In the States, if there are five people in the house, they have five cars. There's a lot of 'this is mine.'"

His family lives in one-story, cinder-block house, and with the money he saved back in the US, he plans to start his own business.

"Here, you really can live on about $5 a day."

Instead of running a dishwasher, the Odhiambos wash their plates by hand. Instead of running an air conditioner, they open the windows. Instead of shopping for groceries at Wal-Mart, Odhiambo's wife heads to the local market.

Odhiambo’s girls, who will attend a private school, are becoming less leery of strangers and the outdoors, an attitude he says they learned in the United States.

"When we first got here, people would say, 'Why don't they go outside and play?'" he said. "They were scared."

Now, as he enjoys the afternoons with his family, Odhiambos smiles whenever he remembers the Hollywood movies that made him years ago eager to live to America.

“In the movies, they only show one side of America."

Source: IslamOnline

CAIRO — France's oldest and most successful Muslim school is on the verge of collapse over financial problems, with many pointing the fingers at the government for denying it the same grants given to all faith schools.

"We are collapsing under the weight of our debts," Yvonne Fazilleau, the headteacher of Réussite (Ibn Rushd) school, told the Guardian on Tuesday, May 26.

The school has debts to the tune of €300,000 and is on the brink of bankruptcy.

"Last week our accountant said to me: 'We are penniless'."

Fazilleau says the school managed to stay afloat last year through charity.

"The only opportunity for us is to go out and beg."

Now the school administration says they have enough money to pay salaries for the next two months, but after that, the future is unknown.

"A lot of the teachers here really don't know what to do," Monya Zalila, who teaches English, told the British daily.

"Many feel sad and angry that we still don't have any money," she added.

"One teacher told me that if we are not paid again she will have to leave and look for another job."

The government approved the establishment of Réussite in July of 2003 to be the country's first secondary Muslim school.

During its short history, the school, which follows the same curriculum as state schools, became one of the most successful schools nationwide.

Last year, it had a 100% success rate in baccalaureat (secondary certificate), compared with a local pass rate of 81 percent.

* Condemned to death

The school administration blames the government for not trying to lift it out of the current financial crisis.

It cites the government's refusal to give the Muslim school the state grants given to all other faith schools.

"We have applied three times. Each time they say that some papers are missing from our file," said Fazilleau.

"But I was the person in charge of sending the file, and I can assure you nothing was missing."

Under the French law, faith schools that abide by the state schools curriculum and submit to inspections are eligible for government grants.

Over 8,000 Jewish and Christian schools are funded in this way, according to the Guardian.

None of France's four French Muslim schools gets such funding.

"This is my country. It's supposed to be a fair country," fumes Fazilleau, a French convert.

"I feel ashamed to say it, but it is obvious there is discrimination, almost segregation, against Muslim people in France," she said.

"They just don't want to give us the money."

* Repercussion

Fazilleau is not optimistic about the future of her Muslim school.

"If nobody helps us soon, we will simply have to close."

She warns that the school closure would have negative impact on the whole Muslim community, estimated at nearly seven millions.

"This school, this enterprise, is not just for those of us who attend it.

"We are sort of pioneers. If we have to close down, this will be a terrible blow for the Muslim community in France."

For many French Muslims, Islamic schools have been the only resort since the government banned hijab in state schools four years ago.

"Friends of mine who go to state schools wear their headscarf outside school, but take it off at the school gates," notes Selma Ikhafoulma, a 15-year-old student who attends Réussite.

"I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that."

ATHENS — Muslim leaders believe that by ignoring their community's deep grievances and long-standing marginalization, the government is creating an explosive situation in the small southern European country. "This is a time-bomb," Naim El-Gadour, chairman of the Muslim Union of Greece, told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Tuesday, May 26.

"It might not explode now but in 10 years it will be a huge problem."

Greek Muslims Seeking Support (Special Coverage) Fury of Muslims in Greece, Leading Where?? Muslim leaders cite several reasons behind their community’s disgruntlement, including the lack of mosques and cemeteries despite repeated promises by successive governments. Tens of thousands of Muslims are forced to pray in about 130 windowless, airless basements or warehouses that currently serve as makeshift mosques.

Last year, the government finally unveiled a location for the first mosque in Athens, the European Union's only capital without a Muslim place of worship.

However, the construction has not started yet.

Muslims from across the country also have to travel hundreds of kilometers to northern Greece for weddings, burials and other ceremonies.

"We see no mosque, we see no cemetery," says Abu Mahmoud, a Moroccan who has lived in Greece since 1985.

"Basically they are making fools of us."

Muslims make about 1.3 percent of the population in overwhelmingly Orthodox Christian Greece, according to the CIA Facts Book.

Some 1000 Muslims took to the streets of Athens last week to protest the desecration of the Qur'an by a policeman.

Seven Muslims and seven policemen were injured in clashes while 46 protesters were arrested.

Jungle

Adding insult to injury, the small southern European country is witnessing a surge in racist violence against immigrants.

"The emerging feeling is that Greece has too many migrants and that they need to go," Dimitris Levantis, head of the Greek chapter of anti-racism SOS Racism, told AFP.

The country is home to thousands of Muslim immigrants, many of them arrive in the country illegally seeking a better life.

Athens alone is home to an estimated 100,000 Muslims of Albanian, Egyptian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Moroccan, Syrian and Nigerian backgrounds.

Migrants, usually forced into low-rent areas or disused buildings, fall as easy prey for neo-Nazis.

Just last Saturday, attackers tried to burn a makeshift mosque in a basement, injuring five Bangladeshis trapped inside.

Earlier this month, 14 people were injured in clashes between a neo-Nazi group, immigrants and police as the far-right gangs tried to dislodge hundreds of migrant squatters from an old courthouse.

In February, a grenade was thrown at the offices of an immigrant supportwork.

Fearful Muslim migrants say the racist attacks have worsened because of the deteriorating economic situation in the country, hard-hit by global recession.

"The situation in Athens is getting worse because of the economic crisis which is hitting foreigners the hardest," says Moroccan Abu Mahmoud.

"The city center has become a jungle."

BAGHDAD – The consumption of alcohol in on the upswing in Iraq, particularly among its younger generations from different social classes and genders. "I and my friends are used to leave college and get some snacks with bear in a local restaurant at Mansour district," Khalid, a business school student in Baghdad, told IslamOnline.

"There is nothing to do in this country and we have to find nice ways to have fun with our friends. The alcohol is just a detail and can help us get some relaxation from the tough life."

Khalid doesn’t consider himself an alcohol addict says he drinks very little when going out with friends.

But during the interview, Khalid drank seven big cans of beer, as did his college friends.

"It is just the minimum to get some relaxation."

Islam takes an uncompromising stand in prohibiting intoxicants.

The general rule in Islam is that any beverage that get people intoxicated when taken is unlawful, both in small and large quantities, whether it is alcohol, drugs, fermented raisin drink or something else.

Alcohol consumption is reaching worrying levels in Iraq, especially among youths of different social classes and genders.

Even among traditional religious families, the use of alcohol has reportedly become common.

"My father doesn’t know and thinks that I’m studying," said Khalid laughingly.

"Before the US invasion I was at school but my oldest brother was at college and the only thing they had for fun was going out to eat sandwiches. I don’t think I want this to be my life."

The problem came to the surface recently after a Baghdad father reportedly beat his daughter to death after discovering she was drinking after college with friends.

No Controls

Khalid and his friends are exploiting the new alcohol rules, or rather lack thereof, in new Iraq.

"It is a precious time and the good thing in Iraq is that even if you are under age, you can get your drink without problems," he noted.

During Saddam Hussein’s regime, alcohol consumption in public places was forbidden.

But in 2005, the Ministry of Interior abolished Saddam's alcohol, nightclubs and casinos restriction law, which was introduced in the 90's.

The government said the law was abolished because it interfered with and limited the personal freedom of Iraqis.

Now businesses selling alcohol are required to obtain a license from the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Health.

But once the license is secured, there is no control over them and any person can buy the intoxicating products without being asked to prove his age.

Bars, pubs and liquor stores, once shut down by militant groups after the 2003 invasion, are back to business and proliferating.

No Help

Mustafa al-Ghadhun, a senior Health Ministry official, confirms the increase in alcohol consumption and drugs in Iraq.

But he contends that the situation is government under, a claim challenged by social workers.

"There isn’t any project from the government to prevent these people (youth) from putting the first drop of alcohol in their body," Hadeel Athab, a social worker and aid agency volunteer, told IOL.

"Youth can be saved and if they (government) don’t start, this problem can reach serious levels and without support, even worse."

There are no government campaigns to raise public awareness the increasing alcohol consumption in the country.

Iraq doesn’t have a structure to help alcohol abusers.

Few psychologists are available in the country, which has been suffering a brain drain since the invasion and the ensuing violence.

There are no clinics or spas specialized in alcohol addiction rehabilitation, making the situation more dangerous.

Haydar Adnan, 16, has been looking for help to her alcohol addiction problem but the lack of clinics and psychologists is making it harder for her.

"I was lucky to have an understanding father who is helping to keep me away from alcohol but without professional support it is becoming hard," he told IOL.

"I was influenced by my friends that it was just for fun but when my mother died with cancer, it was the best way to comfort my pain," he recalls.

"Now I just hope to go back to my normal life. I don’t want to become a useless person."

The UN refugee agency warns that Pakistan is facing one of the 'fastest major displacements' in recent history of the country.

The Pakistani army launched an operation named 'Black thunder' early this month claiming to be aimed at flushing out the militants from the restive Swat valley and its adjoining districts.

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Islamabad on Monday put the number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) by the fighting at nearly 2.4 million.

The agency estimates nearly 126-thousand people flee the fighting in the troubled northwest every day.

The clashes in Swat have pushed millions terrified civilians into camps set up in various parts of the North West Frontier Province since May 2.

Thousands of civilians are believed to be still trapped in the conflict zone. Human Rights Watch has warned of a large-scale human tragedy in the conflict-torn region.

Pakistani forces say they have recently been fighting street-by-street battles against insurgents in Mingora, where thousands of civilians are reportedly trapped in war between the army and militants.

The Rights groups have urged Islamabad to lift a week-long curfew on the area. It says Islamabad cannot allow civilians to remain trapped without food, water and medicine as a way to defeat the militants.

The massive displacement is Pakistan's biggest movement of people since the country secured independence from Britain in 1947.

Pakistan claims more than 1,100 militants and 60 soldiers have been killed in a three-week conflict. The militants, on the other hand, have neither confirmed nor denied the claims.

The figure, however, cannot be confirmed by independent sources since journalists are banned from the war zone. There are also reports suggesting that civilians are the main victims of the army-militant conflict.

The surge in violence in Pakistan followed the US invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 -- a war that has so far failed to achieve its mail alleged goals of destroying the Taliban and al Qaeda and arresting their senior leaders including Osama Bin Laden.

JR/DT

A car bomb explosion has wreaked destruction on a police station reportedly packed with over 200 people in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

"A vehicle bomb exploded just outside the police rescue offices, destroying the office, damaging nearby buildings and injuring people," deputy commissioner of Lahore, Sajjad Bhutta, told reporters.

There has been no claim of responsibility, but the blast comes as the army is battling militants in the Swat region in the northwest of the country in its most concerted action to curb a growing Taliban insurgency.

"It was a strong bomb blast. It damaged several buildings and cars and shattered windows," said police spokesman Nayyab Haider.

New reports from Pakistan indicate that at least 10 people have been killed and more than 90 others have been injured in the blast.

The count is expected to rise, as at least 200 people were believed to have been in the police station at the time of the blast.

HSH/AA

LAHORE -- Defense and security analysts link the Lahore suicide attack that killed 30 people, including 12 policemen, and injured more than 300 on Wednesday, May 27, to a fresh military offensive in Waziristan. "The government and security agencies should get ready for further terrorist attacks as the militants will try to break the nerve of security personnel through such tactics," Rahimullah Yusufzai, a security expert, told IslamOnline.

A bombing attack flattened a police building in Lahore, the country's liberal cultural capital.

Lahore Bombing (in Pictures) Pakistan Future…where to? (Special Page) IslamOnline in Swat (Exclusive) Attackers opened fire and threw grenades before a van packed with explosives blew up outside a police building beside the provincial headquarters of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

"The initial investigation shows that the attackers first fired at the police and security pickets at the corner of the building and then an explosives-laden Toyota van blew up," said Lahore police chief Pervaiz Rathore.

"The terrorists also threw hand grenades but they could not prate the building."

Security agencies have arrested an alleged terrorist involved in the suicide attack after sustaining injuries.

He reportedly confessed that six militants took part in the bombing.

They reportedly hijacked a van from Faisalabad brought it to Lahore and then it was used in the suicide bombing.

Wednesday's bombing is the third deadly attack to rock Lahore in as many months.

On March 30, militants stormed a police training centre, killing seven police cadets and a civilian.

Earlier the same month gunmen ambushed the Sri Lankan cricket team bus, killing eight Pakistanis.

New Fronts, More Troubles

There was no immediate claim for today's blast but immediate suspicion fell on Taliban and Al-Qaeda linked groups.

But like many experts Yusufzai sees a link with Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), an umbrella of different pro-Taliban militants in the country’s restive tribal belt led by Baitullah Mehsud, Pakistan's most wanted man.

"This seems to be the reprisal for fresh army operation in South Waziristan," he said.

"As Baitullah Mehsud and other Taliban leaders had threatened dire consequences if the military operation was not halted, there are strong chances for his involvement in this terrorist attack."

Interior Minister Rehman Malik confirmed that security agencies had received threats from Baitullah Mehsud.

"There was a general warning issued by Baitullah Mehsud regarding terrorist attacks. And this seems to be the result of that warning," he told reporters.

Army helicopter gunships attacked on Tuesday, May 26, Taliban positions in South Waziristan, killing six militants.

Speculation has been rife that the army would mount a military offensive against South Waziristan, which borders Afghanistan.

President Asif Ali Zardari told Britain's Sunday Times last week that the military would move against militants in Waziristan after clearing Swat, where the army is pursuing a five-week offensive against local Taliban.

The US and Afghanistan have long pressed Pakistan to crackdown on Taliban and Al-Qaeda fighters who reportedly fled to the area after the US invasion of Afghanistan in the weeks following 9/11 attacks.

Hamid Mir, an Islamabad-based security expert, believes that opening a new military front will not be a wise step.

"The government should finish one task and then open another front," he told IOL referring to the Swat operation.

"If it opens all fronts simultaneously, it will not merely make the task difficult to achieve for them, but will also unite the different militant groups," he contends.

"Mehsud has not made any statement or move to assist Maulvi Fazlullah-led militants in Swat. But if the government opens a new front in Waziristan at a time when it has failed to handle the mass migration from Swat, it will be in hot waters."

Pakistan is already struggling to help people displaced from Swat and nearby districts.

"The government has already failed to handle 2.5 million displaced people of Swat. How will it handle another he migration from Waziristan," fumed Mir.

"It will create an unmanageable mess."

About 10,000 people have fled South Waziristan in recent days.