Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WAR On Terror?

NATO admits opening fire on civilians
    Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:15:32 GMT

NATO acknowledged on Friday that the US-led forces had opened fire on civilians, injuring five people during anti-American protests in Afghanistan's Helmand province.

Officials say the anti-American protests, that took place at the gates of a military base in the Garmsir district of Helmand province on Wednesday, was initially sparked by reports that US troops had desecrated the Holy Qur'an.

The incident came a day after eight protesters were killed and more than a dozen were injured in a similar demonstration in the region.

FTP/MMN

Despite SOFA, US will deploy 21,000 troops in N Iraq
    Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:28:34 GMT

The United States is to deploy 21,000 US troops in and around the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq despite the security agreement between Baghdad and Washington.

According to the commander of US forces in northern Iraq, Anthony Cucolo, 21,000 US forces will be deployed in Kirkuk and Mosul early next month, the Fars News Agency reported on Saturday.

Cucolo further claimed that the deployment is aimed at preventing what he called the possible Kurd-Arab tension.

Cucolo's remarks come as a surprise as there has been no Kurd-Arab tensions since the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq.

The move is contrary to a security pact, known as the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), which was signed on November 17, 2008 by the Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari and the then US ambassador Ryan Crocker.

Based on the agreement, both sides agreed that US troops should pull out from Iraq's urban areas by the end of June 2009 and be withdrawn altogether from the country by the end of 2011.

HRF/MTM/DT

Are US Forces Executing Kids in Afghanistan? Americans Don't Even Know to Ask
    Submitted by dlindorff on Sun, 2010-01-03 17:58

By Dave Lindorff

The Taliban suicide attack that killed a group of CIA agents in Afghanistan on a base that was directing US drone aircraft used to attack Taliban leaders was big news in the US over the past week, with the airwaves and front pages filled with sympathetic stories referring to the fact that the female station chief, who was among those killed, was the “mother of three children.”

But the apparent mass murder of Afghan school children, including one as young as 11 years old, by a US-led group of troops, was pretty much blacked out in the American media. Especially blacked out was word from UN investigators that the students had not just been killed but executed, many of them after having first been rousted from their bedroom and handcuffed.

Here is the excellent report on the incident that ran in the Times of London (like Fox News, a Rupert Murdoch-owned publication) on Dec. 31:?

Western troops accused of executing 10 Afghan civilians, including children

By Jerome Starkey in Kabul

American-led troops were accused yesterday of dragging innocent children from their beds and shooting them during a night raid that left ten people dead.

Afghan government investigators said that eight schoolchildren were killed, all but one of them from the same family. Locals said that some victims were handcuffed before being killed.

Western military sources said that the dead were all part of an Afghan terrorist cell responsible for manufacturing improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which have claimed the lives of countless soldiers and civilians.

“This was a joint operation that was conducted against an IED cell that Afghan and US officials had been developing information against for some time,” said a senior Nato insider. But he admitted that “the facts about what actually went down are in dispute”.

The article goes on to say:

In a telephone interview last night, the headmaster [of the local school] said that the victims were asleep in three rooms when the troops arrived. “Seven students were in one room,” said Rahman Jan Ehsas. “A student and one guest were in another room, a guest room, and a farmer was asleep with his wife in a third building.

First the foreign troops entered the guest room and shot two of them. Then they entered another room and handcuffed the seven students. Then they killed them. Abdul Khaliq [the farmer] heard shooting and came outside. When they saw him they shot him as well. He was outside. That’s why his wife wasn’t killed.”

A local elder, Jan Mohammed, said that three boys were killed in one room and five were handcuffed before they were shot. “I saw their school books covered in blood,” he said.

The investigation found that eight of the victims were aged from 11 to 17. The guest was a shepherd boy, 12, called Samar Gul, the headmaster said. He said that six of the students were at high school and two were at primary school. He said that all the students were his nephews.

Compare this article to the one mention of the incident which appeared in the New York Times, one of the few American news outlets to even mention the incident. The Times, on Dec. 28, focusing entirely on the difficulty civilian killings cause for the US war effort, and not on the allegation of a serious war crime having been committed, wrote:

US activists blast CIA's overseas drone attacks
    Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:17:15 GMT

Protestors said Obama's use of drones during the first six months of his presidency has surpassed that of the Bush.

American anti-war peace activists have rallied against the increasing use of unmanned drones by CIA around the world — especially in Pakistan.

Peace activists and anti-war advocates staged a protest rally on Sunday in the vicinity of the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Langley, Virginia.

"We're absolutely opposed to that (the use of drones), innocent people are killed as a result of that," a demonstrator told Press TV.

The use of predator drone attacks in the covert CIA war in Pakistan has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of civilians.

"And we know the fear that's created among the civilian population in Afghanistan, Pakistan, now they have been used in Yemen, Somalia and Syria. And where is this gonna stop? It really needs to stop now," said Debra Sweet, an activist from the World Can't Wait.

Alexis Miller from the Washington Peace Center said that President Barack Obama and his administration have proliferated the use of unmanned aerial vehicles.

"People don't realize that drone attacks kill hundreds of civilians every time they are executed, and with this policy of Obama, he has done three hundred in the last six [months], or in the first six months of his presidency more than [what] George Bush did in three years,” Miller said.

Peace activist Cindy Sheehan, whose Facebook page has been shut down for promoting the event, maintained that former President George W. Bush and his vice president Dick Cheney should also be held responsible for the drone attacks.

"Dick Cheney and George Bush started many of these programs under their regime, not only did they start them, they greatly increased them after the excuse of 9/11. And we believe that Dick Cheney, George Bush and the whole administration need to be held accountable," said Sheehan.

The veteran activists say the ongoing use of drone attacks is the CIA and military's new form of interventionism and since it is conveniently covert, it will be easier to keep off the radar, despite the fact that the civilian death toll is drastically increasing.

RB/MMN

For two months I have liked this guy. We have known each other for two years, but have only really been talking for 5 months. I used to think he was cute, but I didn't really know him. We have alot of mutual friends and we just kind of clicked.
    So for the last few months he waits for me after class and before some of my classes to talk to me. Theres a group of us usually and he just stands right behind me, or beside me, or just hug holds me the entire time (5 minutes...heaven
    And after school we play tag in the hall, I give him piggy back rides, we laugh, talk, share an mp3 while waiting for our rides after school, he CONSTANTLY tickles me! So yeah you get the idea.
    Thing is he has a girlfriend. They have been together for 3 months, and they seem more like best friends then a couple. They never kiss unless she initiates it. She is the really jealous type, so obviously she hates me, but acts nice to me when he is around.

I have liked this guy. We have known each other for two years, but have only really been talking for 5 months. I used to think he was cute, but I didn't really know him. We have alot of mutual friends and we just kind of clicked.
    So for the last few months he waits for me after class and before some of my classes to talk to me. Theres a group of us usually and he just stands right behind me, or beside me, or just hug holds me the entire time (5 minutes...heaven
    And after school we play tag in the hall, I give him piggy back rides, we laugh, talk, share an mp3 while waiting for our rides after school, he CONSTANTLY tickles me! So yeah you get the idea.
    Thing is he has a girlfriend. They have been together for 3 months, and they seem more like best friends then a couple. They never kiss unless she initiates it. She is the really jealous type, so obviously she hates me, but acts nice to me when he is around.

For two months I have liked this guy. We have known each other for two years, but have only really been talking for 5 months. I used to think he was cute, but I didn't really know him. We have alot of mutual friends and we just kind of clicked.