Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tension head ache

Tension headache
    Tension headaches,, are the most common type of headaches. The pain can radiate from the neck, back, eyes, or other muscle groups in the body. Nearly everyone will have at least one tension headache in their lifetime.

Frequency and duration
    Tension headaches can be episodic or chronic. Episodic tension headaches are defined as tension headaches occurring less than 15 days a month, whereas chronic tension headaches occur 15 days or more a month for at least 6 months. Tension headaches can last from minutes to days or even months, though a typical tension headache lasts 4-6 hours.

Pain
    Tension headache pain is often described as a constant pressure, as if the head were being squeezed in a vise. The pain is frequently bilateral which means it is present on both sides of the head at once. Tension headache pain is typically mild to moderate, but may be severe. In contrast to migraine, the pain does not increase during exercise.

Cause
    The exact cause of tension headaches is still unknown. It has long been believed that they are caused by muscle tension around the head and neck. However although muscle tension may be involved, there are many forms of tension headaches and some scientists now believe there is not one single cause for this type of headache. One of the theories is that the pain may be caused by a malfunctioning pain filter which is located in the brain stem. The view is that the brain misinterprets information, for example from the temporal muscle or other muscles, and interprets this signal as pain. One of the main molecules which is probably involved is serotonin. Evidence for this theory comes from the fact that tension headaches may be successfully treated with certain antidepressants. Another theory says that the main cause for tension type headaches and migraine is teeth clenching which causes a chronic contraction of the temporalis muscle.

Treatment
    Episodic tension headaches generally respond well to over-the-counter analgesics, such as acetaminophen or aspirin. However, these medications should be avoided in cases of chronic tension headache, due to the risk of rebound headaches. Chronic tension headaches are more difficult to treat. Suggested therapies include:

Swimming two to three times a week
    Acupuncture
    Biofeedback
    Massage
    heat pillow
    relaxation techniques like:
    Jacobson's Progressive Muscle Relaxation
    autogenous training
    The NTI Tension Suppression System
    Amitriptyline
    Doxepine
    Imipramine

Tension headaches are exacerbated by states or activities that induce muscle tension, such as stress. Avoiding such states can lessen the frequency of tension headaches. Tension headaches can also be secondary to other conditions, such as an upper respiratory infection or other virus.

Often the best treatment for a mild tension headache that does not impair a person's ability to function is simple endurance. Many tension headache sufferers receive relief from sleep.

Prognosis
    Tension headaches that do not occur as a symptom of another condition are painful and annoying, but not harmful. It is usually possible to receive relief from treatment. Tension headaches that occur as a symptom of another condition are usually relieved when the underlying condition is treated.
    u make me happy

Thanks Dsjeya, lately i've suffered a lot from it.

you are happy minded person,
    any way just relax tulip friend
    u make me happy

happy minded? how can you say that dsjeya? I am quite relaxed these days.

most of your posts are optimistic and encouraging
    so i thougt you are happy minded tulip
    i am 60,diabetis,blood pressure massive heart attack,by pass surgery,knee problem
    yet i am trying to keep a happy mind
    i drive,play shuttle,travel alone,have young girl friends,cracking jokes
    always knowing next heart attack is the end
    u make me happy

thank u for liking
    u make me happy

i m victom of this.i dont go for doctors.but my mom says i wakup all nite thats y u have headache.but its not the reason.but Dsjeya i dont understand few of remedies

nowadays i feel headache due to much usage of computer or sitting idle...the solution i hve got so far is shower and head massage.
    Thanks 4 sharing..keep it up :up;

Hope you feel better now PD

and rahen head massage always makes you feel better. =)