Thread: Will I look like Pakistani: Preity

Preity Zinta is on top of the world. "I'm on cloud nine... even higher, actually," laughs the star of "Veer-Zaara", currently in Thailand to shoot a shampoo commercial.

News of the extremely encouraging opening of her new Yash Chopra film "Veer-Zaara" has Preity chuckling with delight.

"Though I missed the film's opening in Mumbai, the responses that I've been getting back here are very, very encouraging," she tells over the phone from Thailand.

"Of course a Yashraj film is special by its very definition. But people are stuck by how decent and aesthetic the story and treatment are. At a time when girls are wearing next to nothing, here's a film where the heroine is covered from head to toe in the prettiest clothes possible. After a long time, here is a film that the entire family can watch comfortably."

She admits there was a certain amount of trepidation about being able to carry off a Pakistani-Muslim girl's role.

"So far I had only played contemporary urban metro-centric characters. Zaara was completely new and alien to me. How would I do it? I got knots in my stomach. It was Yash Uncle who held my hand and guided me through the film. Will I look like Pakistani? 'Leave it to me, Beta,' he told me.

"My styling was very important. The salwar-kameez, the nose ring were all Yash Uncle's idea. My hair was styled by Dilshad who gave my hair a brownish henna-colour look. Don't you think it helped? It's an absolute honour to be a Yash Chopra heroine after Sridevi and Madhuri Dixit. If I've pulled it off in spite of my very contemporary image in 'Dil Chahta Hai', 'Kal Ho Na Ho' and 'Lakshya', it's all because of the aura and ambience created in the film."

Preity doesn't wait for my response. "And I must mention Shah Rukh Khan. He's outstanding in the film. Don't you think he's a hundred percent convincing as the old man? And what about me? Do you think I carry off the old woman's part?

"Shah Rukh and I had done 'Dil Se' together. Then after a long gap we did 'Kal Ho Na Ho'. Now after 'Veer-Zaara' don't you think we make quite a pair? And we had such a fabulous script. I don't think any actor can rise above the material given to her. But a lot of incompetent actors can pull down a good script. Trust me on that!"

She is hoping to be cast with SRK again. "He's such a helpful co-star. It's amazing. I don't think my performance would be half of what it is without him. He's a selfless actor. During 'Veer-Zaara' I tripped and fell, I blacked out... he was always there to lend me a helping hand. He would go out of his way to cooperate. His commitment to the project was so complete. And look how beautifully he has performed in 'Veer-Zaara'! When he reads the poem in the courtroom there isn't a single dry eye in the audience."

Now Preity talks about her favourite scenes in the film. "I love Shah Rukh's poetry scene. I also love that sequence where Anupam Kher tells Rani it's time for the younger generation to help in removing the impediments to an Indo-Pak friendship. I strongly feel 'Veer-Zaara' should be released in Pakistan, not just for the sake of relations between the two countries but also because Shah Rukh has such an awesome fan following there. A friend of mine from Pakistan saw the film. He thinks 'Veer-Zaara' should be shown to President Musharraf right away."

Pausing for breath she continues, "At a time when so many films are lashing out at our neighbours, 'Veer-Zaara's' message of peace is so refreshing."

Preity also raves about Amitabh Bachchan. "His entry in 'Veer-Zaara' brings the house down. I think it takes a Yash Chopra to know how to use an Amitabh Bachchan correctly."

Tell her it's unlikely she'd ever be in a love legend like "Veer-Zaara" again and she sighs. "I guess you're right. I remember I was in New York shooting for 'Kal Ho Na Ho', longing to be in a love legend like 'Heer-Ranjha' or 'Laila Majnu'. I guess someone up there was listening to me. I feel very humbled by the kind of response 'Veer-Zaara' has got me."

So far Preity has signed no new film. "Though I'm in the process of signing two very big new films. Right now let me enjoy the success of 'Veer-Zaara'."

i enjoyed the final speech or peom by srk, though it seemed a little unusual but still it was thought provoking.

Actually, i don't think she looks pakistani at all in the movie. Even the family and the way they are shown to live is unreal. No one speaks like that in pakistan. And nobody wears noserings in pakistan!

couln't agree more w/ evian..

and where in pakistan we use "adaab" ? :duno;
    Dream, I do.

Maybe that's what they think pakistanis are like. "Opressed women, mean dads and cruel husbands, women that are not allowed to go do what they want, policemen that are horribly disrespectful to women and ofcourse, fiance's that are the epitome of male domination" I have to say that the movie was an amalgum of pakistani/muslim stereotypes all rolled together to form one dud of a movie. :sleep;

I'll give shahrukh and the other actors credit for their efforts and the scenery was nice...but really, don't you think it was over exagerrated?

lol :rolling; wake up indian producers/director.
    Dream, I do.

lolllllllllllzzz!!