A big motivational tool for me in losing weight has always been to take "before" pictures and track my progress every 6 weeks or so. When I see visible differences by comparing before and afters it motivates me to move further on and lose more weight. This is very helpful in times when I just don't feel like exercising but know I must and will feel ten times better afterwards.

I also find using a journal to write down how a feel a big help when feeling de-motivated or lacking in self esteem. This really helps me to get things out if I don't have anyone I can talk to in that moment. Sometimes I don't feel like sharing with others and just need to get it off my chest so a journal works wonders.

Also as stated in the beginning we simply lose motivation when we don't have a plan. Write down your reasons for wanting to lose weight and how you are going to tackle this. You may need to document your food intake and exercise for a few days until it starts becoming more of a routine at first. Change or rather huge change can be hard to stick to.

You may find changing one thing at a time much more beneficial and will stick to it that way too. Don't be in too much of a rush because small changes can give you dramatic results and small changes can make the journey to a healthy lifestyle much more enjoyable and less likely for you to resist.