Thread: How to convert MKV video to MP4 for watching on iPad

Question:
    I have some MKV videos and would like to watch them on my new iPad, so I converted these mkv files (1280x720p x264, AC3) to mp4 using QuickTime 7 and Perian by exporting to mp4 with the video set to pass through, and the audio set to AAC 160 Kbps 48 kHz. But iTunes won't let them sync with my iPad, and it doesn't tell me why. Is there something I can change with my conversion method?

Answer:
    Your first mistake was using Quicktime for video conversion. It works "okay", but is exceedingly slow and if you get one tiny thing wrong your video won't sync to the iPad.
    The iPad only supports some video formats like h.264 videos (which mkv videos typically are) with the following specs: "H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats".
    So you need to find some software which converts MKV videos to H.264 videos supported by Apple iPad. We strongly recommend one named Aneesoft iPad Video Converter. It has two versions for both Windows PC and Mac OS.
    Here I'll show you how to convert a MKV HD video to iPad supported H.264 videos for watching on the iPad step-by-step.

Things you’ll need
    1. Aneesoft iPad Video Converter (Free for download trial version)
    2. MKV video files

Step 1: Download & install Aneesoft iPad Video Converter
    We’ll be using the very nice iPad video converter software called Aneesoft iPad Video Converter for converting MKV HD videos to iPad compatible video format, head over here and download the free trial version of iPad Video Converter. Next step is to install this iPad Video Converter software.

Step 2: Run iPad Video Converter and add MKV HD videos
    Now run iPad Video Converter and click the big button "Add..." to add .mkv HD videos from your hard disk, you may add as many MKV videos as you want to convert to H.264 videos for watching on iPad. Only the titles you checked will be converted.

Step 3: Edit & merge MKV HD videos: trim, crop, add effect, add watermark
    Wanna edit your MKV videos to make it more personalized? You may add a watermark in Aneesoft iPad Video Converter. Just select the title you'd like to add watermark, then click the button 'Edit' to launch video editing window. If you want to crop video or add some special effects, click the first two tabs.

Step 4: Change the output settings to convert MKV videos to iPad
    You'll find a wide range of preset video setting options avaiable for Apple iPad. You may select "iPad H.264(720p) MPEG4 Video(*.mp4)" for converting MKV HD videos to iPad supported videos. Remember that the output file size and converting speed mostly depends on the Bitrate you set. Larger Bitrate, larger file size and longer convertion time

Step 5: Start converting MKV videos to iPad video format
    Now you may click the big button "Start" to begin converting MKV videos to iPad compatible video files. Once the convert is complete, Aneesoft iPad Video Converter will place on your Desktop a new iPad format version of your video that will play on the iPad. Double-click the new file and play it to make sure it looks as you expect.

some freeware are very good work too!
    Free video converter from aneesoft is totally free, and can help you convert among all general video formats and general audio formats on Windows PC, no malware/spyware/trojans !
    i got it do a lot of works for me!

have it a try and good luck!