Father's Day Musings [June 20] -greet your father:
Communication is the key to any relationship. We know it well. The irony is that despite knowing so, we shy away from communicating with people we love most. I can say the same about my relationship with my dad. In my teenage years, there were a number of times when he inspired me, injected optimism in my heart and made me feel that there was always a cushion to break my fall. The best part about him was that he never stepped in unless I called out for him. It was an unwritten contract between us: he knew that I wouldn't ask him to solve my problems unless I couldn't do anything about it myself. I knew that whatever it was, I can depend on him to ease it out for me if it so demanded.

Looking back at all those years, the only regret I have is not having told him how much his support meant to me. Then it felt superfluous and somewhat mushy. Now I feel that I have missed the bus. Down the years, I don't even remember those little moments that forge a relationship. When I was wondering what to do this Father's Day, I decided to write a letter to him. I don't know the content of the letter yet. The only thing I know is, it will require more than the minuscule writing skills I have to compose something that encapsulates the most treasured times of my life. Thanking someone as special as him and spilling over those unsaid emotions on a keyboard is not going to be easy. If you have something to share with your old man, now is the time. Go ahead!