A Basic Meditation For Beginners
Sit comfortably in a quite place, which you have chosen for your meditation practice...
Close your eyes and, for a minute or two, allow your body and mind to slow down i.e. less active, by remaining still and quiet...
While keeping your eyes closed, take your attention to your toes...
Clench them tightly for a few moments, then relax them for a few moments...
Work slowly upwards, tensing and then releasing and relaxing all your body parts… do this for your calves, then your thighs, stomach, etc...
Be aware that your whole body is now relaxed in the chair and that all your attention is focused in the centre of the forehead, just above the eyebrows...
With your attention focused only on your thoughts, experience that your thoughts are floating to the surface, now imagine that they are dissolving...
Allow quietness and peace to fill your mind - as if you were listening to silence inside the temple of your mind...
If any sensation or thoughts come to distract you, simply let them pass through your mind...
Then return your attention to the quietness in your mind...
Acknowledge your inner tranquility with a quiet thought, "My mind is now relaxed, and I feel more peaceful"...
After a few minutes, bring your awareness back to the room in the present moment.