When J.P.Dutta launched her with "Refugee", she was termed as nothing exceptional. Well 3 and half years down the line and a long list of films with all the best and most popular filmmakers in Bollywood, Kareena is certainly someone you can't write off. On the eve of the release of Sooraj R. Barjatya's "Main Prem Ki Diwani Hun" (MPKDH), she spoke exclusively to Rajan Patel about movies, life and much more :

Q. How did you get "MPKDH"?
A.Our association with Rajshri's goes down a long way, because Karisma worked with Soorajji in "Hum Saath Saath Hain". So occasionally, I used to drop in on the sets. I use to be 16 then. Soorajji use to keep watching me - soorajji's father Raj Babu had then told me that "Sooraj will make a film with you after 6 years" I was like Ya wow! Really I couldn't believe it. Well it happened one fine day, I was shooting in London with Subhash Ghai for "Yaadein" and at that time Soorajji called me up and said that he had script and said "I have written the script keeping you in mind for the girl. The girl is the protagonist, as you see the whole thing (Film) is based around the girl's point of view". That was it, I was in the film.

Q. How have you evolved as an actress over the years? How do you feel about your career growth?
A. With age, everyone tends to grow. I was also very immature when I joined films. One matures with time and with experiences that they go through -- through heart breaks, hurt, pains, could be professional or personal heart breaks, you tend to use all these experiences to become a better person. It helps you to become a better actress and stronger actress. I think my career growth has been I can't help it if people touted me as the next big thing, I cannot help it.. I came from that family background and I had a sister at home like Karisma. I got all the big banner films -- god has been very kind to me, things came too fast and automatically when my films didn't do too well the press got on to the bandwagon, "now that oh! Look at her she thinks she is too great", but I never ever thought that. I was always thankful to god that I got so much. After I walked out of "Kaho Na Pyar Hai" atleast I got a film. I couldn't help it if Subhash Ghai wanted to caste me in his film. I had to say "Yes" now how am I supposed to know if the fate of the film will do well or not.

Q. When did the acting bug bite you?
A. I realized, I wanted to be an actress from the day I was "out" in hospital. I think instead of the word mom, I said the word "films". For me I sleep, drink, and eat films.

Q. Have your performances always depended on the quality of the director?
A. Definitely! I think all actors should let themselves flow with the director because there is no one who knows better than the director, as he is the captain of the ship. Its like Titanic, the director goes wrong..the ship sinks.

Q. So if the "ship sinks" does the director take all the discredit?
A. Absolutely, we actors are completely, mere puppets. Like I said, I owe all my good performances to my directors be it in "Refugee", "Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hain", "Asoka", or "K3G". I give all my credit to directors and rightly so in "MPKDH" because there is no one better than Mr. Barjatya himself who knows his characters. He worked on his film for four years.

Q. Who are the directors that you vibe best with? Is there any difference between the elder director and the younger ones?
A. I think in the last 15 years, I am the only heroine who has worked with every director, other actresses have worked with some big film makers and whatever… but I have worked with J.P. Dutta, Satish Kaushik, Abbas Mustan, Santosh Sivan, Sooraj Barjatya, Karan Johar, Yash Chopra --- just name it, Subhash Ghai, now Mani Ratnam, Govind Nihalani, and Dharmesh Darshan (she rattles of this list).

Q. How best have you taken the advantage of working with the above directors?
A. I have picked up every ones USP. …Look at my performances, which is so different in a "Refugee" and like "Pooh" in K3G. Its only thanks to the director.

Q.It is public knowledge that " Pooh" (Pooja from K3G) is the real Kareena?
A. MNot at all (vehemently denies it), I don't think so in fact you can ask Karan (Johar), I came across as it could be real but...

Q. I did ask you in a positive manner?
A. The character was only positive, it was so cute, there was nothing wrong with the girl she was dumb.

Q.So how different are you from " Pooh" then? (I probe more)
A. I am very different.. Like now, I had to paint my nails because I had this interview. I didn't want people to think that I bite my nails. Because I am constantly chewing my nails, my mom said to get it done so I did it. I use to fight with Karan ( on the sets of K3G) as to "why are you making me comb my hair, do my lipstick". Pooh had to be a very "hoity -toity" girl, it was a big torture. I just followed whatever Karan did. He used to act every shot out for me and I use to just follow it over.

Q. A lot of films today are made with an international context (cross over cinema) what do you think about cross over cinema?
A. I don't believe in this word, "crossover". See, I think I am the only girl who doesn't believe in that there is nothing known as cross over cinema. Steven Spielberg is not coming here to sign us.

Q. If hypothetically a top Hollywood director was to sign you?
A. If Steven Spielberg is signing me I will do it… why shouldn't I? (She covers up for her above statement). I don't want to do a film with C or D grade film producer or director who comes from Hollywood and who is claiming that he is done a project. I am very happy doing Hindi films. Acting and dancing around the trees is my passion and I want to do that, that's our (pauses) … ultimately the films that has run is "Andaaz" which is a commercial film. Is Julia Roberts coming to work with Sooraj Barjatya? It looks so weird our Hindi films actresses talking in that fancy lingo and that accent. An Indian will always be put at back in an English film. Why like that? I think Indians are equal to anybody else and our Hindi filmmakers… look at Sooraj Barjatya and Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Our films have made it to the Oscars. " Devdas" and "Lagaan" have made it to the Oscars, so why should we put ourselves down and why should we be pranced about in a bikini for what? That's definitely not right and I feel that I am very happy being in a Hindi film industry. Its just been 3 and half years here since I joined. Maybe in about 5 or 6 years if Steven Spielberg decides to caste me, otherwise I will be very happy working with Sooraj Barjatya and Karan Johar and these kinds of makers.

If you and Karisma were approached with the same script how would your individual approaches be??
Well Karisma is very thoughtful and she thinks before she does things. She is more mellow, whereas I am very impulsive. Before I hear the ending of the script, I might decide to do film. This is what makes us two sides of the same coin… its nice, if we both were the same and have same approach in life in the same manner, then it would just be so boring (Smiles).

If you and your sister were to do a film together how would it work out?
I would love to do a "Banger Sisters", if someone has the guts to make it. It would be fun and I would like to play Goldie Hawn. I really like the film and want someone to make it.