B i s m i l l a a h i r R a h m a a n i r R a h e e m
    Bismillaahi walhamdulillaahi wassalaatu wassalaamu ‘alaa rasoolillaahi

Assalaamu `Alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu

Teachings of the Qur`aan

Al-Baqarah

Soorah 2
    Aayah 126

by Ayub A. Hamid

After introducing the purpose of the House, its place in the life of believers and Ibraaheem’s and Ismaa’eel’s role in that regard, subsequent verses briefly provide a glimpse of father and son’s feelings, emotions and du’aas at the time of settling in Makkah and during the construction of the House. The first verse expresses his du’aa at the beginning when he dedicated his only son for full time Islamic work and settled him in the arid, hostile territory of Makkah for that purpose.

126 And remember when Ibraaheem said: My Lord, make it a City of Peace and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allaah and the last day. He said: Even he who disbelieves, I will let him enjoy for a short while, then I will drive him to the punishment of the fire; and that is an evil destination.

To grasp the profundity of this du’aa, one should keep the environment of Makkah in mind. It was a totally arid, uncultivable land. The people of the area were nomads who survived by grazing cattle wherever they could find some greenery, by hunting and by robbing or abducting travellers or weaker people. To establish a House of Allaah to which people can come for Allaah’s worship, security and food were the two items needed the most. Similarly, for Ibraaheem and Ismaa’eel to be able to serve the house with undivided attention, they needed to be free of worries about looking for food and arranging for security. Allaah SWT granted Ibraaheem’s du’aa so wonderfully that Makkah became the only peaceful place on the earth where every kind of fruit and produce has been available from all corners of earth. Since Ibraaheem’s time, every generation of people have witnessed Allaah’s blessing on that area in response to Ibraaheem’s du’aa. Following are some of the examples of how Makkah became a city of peace and every kind of food was available to its inhabitants:

§ The house and its vicinity was declared a sanctuary. Any kind of fight or violence is completely prohibited. Even killing or slaughtering an animal is not allowed. This has been the case since the time of Ibraaheem. Even during the worst of the violent times, no Arab will touch an enemy within the limits of the sanctuary.

§ Four months of the year were designated for travelling to visit the House. During those months even the most dangerous territories will become peaceful and the most savage of Arabs will stop fighting to allow safe passage to the pilgrims going to the House.

§ Even the non-Arab enemies never dared to violate the sanctity of Makkah, except for one instance. One king violated this peace and attacked with a huge army of elephants. He was miraculously annihilated by an army of birds. Not a single soul, human or elephant survived.

§ Because of their trusteeship of the House, the Quraysh from the descendents of Ibraaheem, were especially regarded and respected. While other tribes were not safe to pass their caravans through other tribal areas, the Quraysh could do so with impunity. Their caravans were not attacked but rather provided protection and safe passage by the tribesmen through their territory. This gave them a chance to flourish in trade and commerce.

§ The pilgrims coming from far and wide would bring all kind of goods and food items so that there was always plenty of all necessities of life available for inhabitants of Makkah.

Because of the limitation of the English language, the word translated as “fruits” is “Thamaraat” which includes all kind of “fruits” that grow on plants and trees whether they are fruits, vegetables, seeds, grains, pulses, nuts, etc. -- anything that is an edible end product of a vegetation. The Arabic word for fruits as we commonly understand them is “Fawaakih.”

Copyright ©2004, Ayub A. Hamid

Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on

Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in not-for-profit publications.

Contact author for all other rights, which are reserved.

JazakAllah.