Thread: The Truth About Fats

Fat is a major nutrient essential to your body. It supplies you with energy and helps maintain various body functions. Fats come from both animals and vegetables. They help to make food palatable. They also carry fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, as well as fatty acids, which are broken down to release energy and rebuild cell structure in your bodies.

Fats are related to cellulite which is basically ordinary fat. Women are prone to cellulite because the female hormone oestrogen makes them acquire fat, which tends to be stored under the skin's surface. Cellulite is a natural characteristic of the female body. It is not the build-up of toxins and impurities in the body as some believe.

What does my body need more - fat, carbohydrates or protein?
    Carbohydrates, fat and protein are three different types of nutrients. They pack different amounts of energy within them and are converted to calories via different biochemical pathways. To stay healthy, 55 to 65 per cent of the energy from food needed to maintain basic bodily functions should come from carbohydrates, 20 to 30 per cent from fat, and the remaining 10 to 15 per cent from protein.

What do you mean by 'Calorie'?
    A calorie is a measure of energy. It is the unit of measurement used to indicate the amount of energy in food and used by the body.

Is there 'good' fat and 'bad' fat?
    All types of fat are equally high in calories. Excessive consumption of fat can result in obesity and increased health risks.

There are four types of fat in food:

Saturated
    Polyunsaturated
    Mono-unsaturated
    Trans fat.

Saturated fat and Trans fat can be considered 'bad' because these raise blood cholesterol when taken in excess. This increases the risk of developing heart disease and stroke. Foods high in saturated fat include meat, butter, coconut cream and vegetable oil blended with palm oil. Foods high in Trans fat include hard margarine, pastries, ice-creams and biscuits.

Replacing saturated fat in the diet with polyunsaturated fat and mono-unsaturated fat may help to lower blood cholesterol. For this reason, polyunsaturated and mono-unsaturated fat can be considered 'good' fat.

Foods high in polyunsaturated fat include margarine and vegetable oils such as corn oil, soy bean oil and sunflower oil, and fatty fish like salmon and mackerel. Foods high in mono-unsaturated fat include olive oil, canola oil, groundnut oil and avocado.

good information by the way i hate Biology itself Payal

Thanxx that was informative and interesting

I like reading health stuff.....

:up;
    A Minute They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.

most welcome n saba i never had a chance to read biology :biggrin;