Poll: Which brand would u like to stand for

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: !! IBM is the supercomputing leader !!

:applaud; :givefl; IBM has a lot of reasons to celebrate these days. :applaud; :givefl;

TOP500 List of Supercomputers named the IBM’s Blue Gene/L the world’s fastest supercomputer. Blue Gene/L which is capable of a performance of 136.8 Teraflops, or trillions of floating point calculations per second was developed by IBM and Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration and is installed
    at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories in California and is planned to grow to a 360 Teraflop Blue Gene/L supercomputer when completed this summer

IBM has also another reason to celebrate the top released by TOP500 List of Supercomputers. IBM has achieved a new world record in supercomputing area by being the first company ever to have more then 51% of the total number of systems on the list.

IBM is the leading provider of both installed supercomputing systems with 259 systems as well as total aggregate supercomputing power, with a record total 976 Teraflops. IBM has 6 of the systems in the Top 10, including MareNostrum, Europe's most powerful supercomputer which is powered by IBM's POWER Microprocessor and eServer BladeCenter JS20 -- the only supercomputer based on blade server technology to ever be ranked in the global top 5.

According to numbers compiled by the TOP500 List of Supercomputers, IBM is the overwhelming leader in global supercomputing with 57.9 percent of the total processing power, compared to its closest rival, HP, with a mere 13.3%.

Other key indicators of IBM supercomputing leadership:

IBM leads the list with 259 of the 500 entries. HP is second with 131, followed by SGI(24), Dell (21) and Cray (16)
    IBM Blue Gene/ LLNL is ranked #1, with 136.8TFlops
    Watson Blue Gene is #2, with 91.29 TF
    We lead Top10 with 6 entries
    We lead with 10 of Top20
    We lead with 58 of Top100
    Fastest system in Europe (MareNostrum)
    We lead with 976 TF (57.9% of total Flops)
    14 Blue Gene Systems are listed
    Most Linux Commodity Clusters with 193 of 304 (54.7%)!

is there something wrong on this print ??

i am in afix !!

Do u read all this?

Congratulations IBM Inc,.

Myt, I don't have much information about super computers neither have I seen one in my entire life. I have read about them in my class three book but that wasn't enough. What book or article would you like to suggest?
    Dream, I do.

A supercomputer is a computer that leads the world in terms of processing capacity, particularly speed of calculation, at the time of its introduction.

That from Wikipedia..Ill let u know a good title ina few days..

Till then...

P.S._-Am i worth that much hatred ??

Thank you, I am looking forward to it.

hatred? where did this term came from?
    Dream, I do.

There has been some serious updates since the last post

IBM claimed first place Wednesday in a supercomputer speed competition with an expanded version of its Blue Gene/L, which beat out a Japanese machine from NEC. But a new Silicon Graphics machine has a chance at giving Big Blue a run for the title.

Researchers at the Blue Gene/L production facility in Rochester, Minn., clocked the machine at a sustained performance of 36.01 trillion calculations per second, or 36.01 teraflops. By comparison, since 2002, NEC's Earth Simulator has held the top spot on a ranking of the world's 500 fastest supercomputers while running at a speed of 35.9 teraflops.

"The U.S. supercomputing industry is still alive and well," Dave Turek, vice president of Deep Computing at IBM, said during a conference call Wednesday. IBM is building the Blue Gene/L for nuclear weapons lab Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory but has begun selling the system to other customers.

IBM's achievement was expected. When two Blue Gene/L machines made it into the Top500 list, Turek said there was a "good chance" Blue Gene/L would top the forthcoming November list, adding that "the trajectory of it is already clear."

There's a new contender on the horizon, though, a NASA system called Columbia that SGI is building with 10,240 Intel Itanium processors. Intel President Paul Otellini said in September the system will be finished in 2004 and will have a speed of 60 teraflops.

Another contender for a high rank is a system at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, which hit the No. 3 spot in 2003 using 1,100 Apple G5 computers, each with dual 2GHz processors. An upgrade with the same number of slimmer Apple Xserve computers is now complete, said Virginia Tech spokeswoman Lynn Nystrom.

"The goal will be to remain in the top 10 (of the Top500) and the fastest at a university," Nystrom said. Although Apple sells Xserves only with 2GHz processors today, the Virginia Tech upgrade uses 2.3GHz chips, she said.

The flagship Blue Gene/L machine at Livermore isn't going to make its initial 2004 deadline, though. "The total delivery to Livermore will come roughly in May of 2005. One of the challenges to face any company when going down the path of building scalable systems is that you really do penetrate certain unknown areas," Turek said.

Although the 64-rack Blue Gene/L that IBM is building for the Livermore lab is the largest, the company also has sold a six-rack system to the Astron Dutch radio telescope project, a one-rack system to Argonne National Laboratory and a four-rack system to Japan's National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology.

Don Dossa, a computational physicist at the Livermore lab, said in an earlier interview that Blue Gene/L is well adapted for some calculations but not for others.

For example, it's appropriate for simulating materials in a relatively unchanging environment, such as a solid that's cracking under pressure. But when it comes to the nuclear weapons simulations at the heart of the lab's mission, the 512MB of memory in each Blue Gene/L computing node isn't enough to deal with the broad range of radiation, temperature and pressure conditions, Dossa said.

For those nuclear weapons simulations, IBM is building a system called ASCI Purple that uses a smaller number of more powerful computers that rely on IBM's Power5 processor.

Blue Gene/L, when finished, will have about 65,000 dual-core processors.

PS.--U should know better Endurer !!