Thread: Software Glitches within Vista >>>

Living with Windows Vista beta 2: Day 3.

A few days ago, I mentioned downloading a few software apps onto my Windows Vista beta 2 machine. I had trouble with Adobe Flash, so I wondered why downloads from the Adobe site were so...slow. Today I attempted to download Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.07 and experienced the same slowness connecting to the Adobe download site. For comparison, I had a Windows XP box sitting nearby and was able to connect to Adobe and download the reader in less time than with Vista. I suspect the slowness has something to do with Adobe's ability to read your machine's OS, then match the right page. Vista doesn't yet appear on Adobe's OS drop-down menu, so for the time being, choose XP.

On the other hand, I had no trouble downloading and installing the free version of Trillian, but I can't get it to run under Vista. I can get into preferences and make changes, but I can't get the app itself to run. There's a tiny dialog box that flashes on the screen when it attempts to start, but the message comes and goes so fast I can't read it. It's something about the visual display not being right. It's possible that Trillian hasn't yet been optimized for Windows Vista.

One major change within Vista is that Microsoft is kicking everything out of the system kernel as part of its new security ethos. That means third-party antivirus and even firewall apps will have to be redesigned to be compatible with Vista. The first company to do so is CA. I blogged this a few days ago, but I just had the chance to sign up. It's a pretty generous offer. Not only do you get its fast and effective antivirus app for free, but it's also giving Microsoft Windows Vista beta 2 users one year of signature-file updates and technical support for free. I suspect other antivirus and firewall vendors will follow suit--after all, it's a great way to beta-test antivirus and firewall apps on the new OS.

taken from--Alpha CNET Blog by Robert Vamosi .

P.S.--All the fun to Endurer!! :blush:

one more thing--CA has the first antivirus for Windows Vista.

i am still confused abt what Vistahas to offer!!