Thread: Drug Addiction??

Drug Addiction Iftikhar 2006-05-27
    Drug addiction is a BIG PROBLEM wherever it is and Pakistan is no exception. There may not be a single state in the world free of this menace. However, the reasons of increasing drug addiction may vary from place to place. Basically, when a person have some serious problem(s)to which he finds no solution he may reach a point where he may take any step whatsoever to get rid of that situation permanently or at least temporarily. This situation is usually faced by pesimistic people with less patience. They don't think and act positively to solve the problem. The basic reason is their distance from religious and moral values which if adopted keep you on the right track. In our country, major causes of youngsters being caught by this bad habit, is prolonged unemployment, severe injustice, disgusting discrimination, humiliating failure in (so-called) love, and company of other drug addicts. In addition to that, smoking habit in young people also sometimes leads to drug addiction when they are not satisfied with mere smoking. The smokers are comparatively more vulnerable to drug addiction. While this is a fact that we have this problem and we all know about its gravity and also the reasons behind it, the most important aspect of this issue is as to what we have done so far and what are our plans to solve this problem? What is being done at public and/or private level to eliminate the causes resulting in this problem and to counsel/treat the ones who are already victim of this disease? Unfortunately, we don't see notable work being done in this regard. In addition to more serious efforts by the governmental and non-governmental organizations working in this important area, we as individuals should also take it seriously and must focus the people in our circle i.e. family, colleagues, friends, and neighbours, ensuring that none of them is involved in this bad habit and the ones who are unfortunately drug addict should be helped/treated so that they are back on the right track to become good members of our society. In particular, the parents, while providing best available facilities to their children, must monitor their activities religiously. To keep the youngsters safe from drug addiction, the first step is to keep them away from smoking. They must be engaged in positive and healthy activities like sports, during the time they are free from studies. Best regards,
    FATIMA-TUL-ZAHRA
    wOrK SmaRt NoT HaRd......

Billiards & snookers are sports too and I see more drug addicts there than anywhere else so engaging someone in sports is not going to help.

It's the fostering & the company one keeps that matters and plays a vitral role here.

Well educated girls and boys smoke hash freely in their college campuses and I feel sorry to say that not even the college/university administration can put a full stop to drug mafia. Drugs, particularly hash is widely and easily available in almost every corner of the street in virtually every city of Pakistan.

I have seen the officials from law enforcement agencies addicted to the same problem (drugs)they are trying to eradicate.
    Dream, I do.

Involved in positive activities such as sports? what?

erm if you took a reality check it would seem obvious that in Capitalistic countries the amount of drug use is astonishing, also the only way to control this problem is by legalising ALL drugs.

LEGALISE HEROIN, COCAINE, E'S, CANNABIS ALL OF THE DRUGS AND YOU WILL ERRADICATE DRUG ADDICTION I PROMISE...

Why does the government not legalise it then?

Because, my poor ignorant friend they have too much to gain from a nation addicted to drugs. Money, power, and the fact that the CIA are the biggest drug dealers on this planet would have something to do with it.

You are in complete violation of the rules:

DO NOT use obscene or sexually explicit language, racial epithets or hateful words, or variations spelled to suggest such words. DesiTwist will determine the acceptability of words at its sole discretion. Remember that young eyes may read these discussion boards, and that Internet filters could block the entire DesiTwist.com Web site based on particular words or phrases.

Desitwist Moderator

Be as kind to mind u r language..dnt try to be mean !!

You may be hooked emotionally and psychologically. You may have a physical dependence, too. If you have a drug addiction — whether to a legal or illegal drug — you have intense cravings for it. You want to use the drug again and again. When you stop taking it, you may have unpleasant physical reactions.

While not everyone who uses drugs becomes addicted, many people do. Drug addiction involves compulsively seeking to use a substance, regardless of the potentially negative social, psychological and physical consequences. Certain drugs, such as narcotics and cocaine, are more likely to cause physical dependence than are other drugs.

Breaking a drug addiction is difficult, but not impossible. Support from your doctor, family, friends and others who have a drug addiction, as well as inpatient or outpatient drug addiction treatment, may help you beat your drug dependence.