1)we can use dis banner to promote. by making it graphical and animated.

example like an advertisement coming i sequence.
first this banner then like a movie a banner comes on javascript then on photoshop then on html then dis again.i mean like graphical animated type which shifts in a sequence.OR we can make its size smaller and like a frame put it to the right side wid smaller animated html,photoshop, javascript in one line. A "click here" option on the banner/frames will be best.

2)we can use dis like the other type

by adding IT and giving smiley to all of them. as pics are more expressive than words.or we can have a drop down menu for each of them. so dat we dont have to go in to the site's next page instead get an idea wats inside the forum or IT or news e.t.c.also we can add search engine here in dis menu of the home page cause search engine to the bottom doesnot give a good impression to the first users.

3) we can also have a pop up menu. not those which r disturbing like the one which pop ups in the front but like for example - if someone opens the site desitwist.com automatically another page will be opened and minimised also.we dont have to minimize it. first user (mostly 90%) will surely maximize it to see wat it has.
note: if Admin u like dis idea 3) then plz give the option for desitwist members to off the pop up menu if its possible.

right now I have only these ideas.