Thread: Eyeball Jewelry a New Dutch Fashion Trend

Surgeons implant glittering shapes into eye's membrane

Deborah Boer models the "Jewel Eye" in her hometown of Driebergen, Netherlands on Wednesday. The "Jewel Eye" is implanted underneath the conjunctiva, the mucous membrane covering the eye.

Updated: 4:00 p.m. ET April 07, 2004

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Body piercing and tattoos make way. The latest fashion trend to hit the Netherlands is eyeball jewelry.

Dutch eye surgeons have implanted tiny pieces of jewelry called “JewelEye” in the mucous membrane of the eyes of six women and one man in cosmetic surgery pioneered by an ophthalmic surgery research and development institute in Rotterdam.

The procedure involves inserting a 0.13 inch wide piece of specially developed jewelry -- the range includes a glittering half-moon or heart -- into the eye’s mucous membrane under local anaesthetic at a cost of $610 to $1,232.

“In my view it is a little more subtle than (body) piercing. It is a bit of a fun thing and a very personal thing for people,” said Gerrit Melles, director of the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery.

The piece of jewelry is inserted in the conjunctiva -- the mucous membrane lining the inner surface of the eyelids and front of the eyeball -- in sterile conditions using an operating microscope in a procedure taking about 15 minutes.

“Without doing any harm to the eye we can implant a jewel in the conjunctiva,” Melles said. “So far we have not seen any side effects or complications and we don’t expect any in the future.”

The Rotterdam-based institute, which develops new ocular surgical techniques in corneal, cataract and retinal surgery, developed and patented the jewelry made with special materials and the surgical procedure.

The institute, which carries out the procedure in cooperation with an eye clinic near the city of Utrecht, said it has a waiting list for people who wanted the implant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4685961/
    GOD Couldn't Be EveryWhere... So HE Created FRIENDS!
    The DEVIL Couldn't Be EveryWhere... So HE Created GIRLFRIENDS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ign/esssz8.png

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    REALLY GUD!
    wOrK SmaRt NoT HaRd......

no offense but i think that's kind of stupid lol
    Get off my back

i coulndt see i t..

Does anyone know where i can watch ou tthe Ddamas exclusive Krisha jewellery!!

Stupid idea!

i didnt like it :S

Jaisi Allah ne ankhein banai waisi achi nahi hain kya

not really nice, not a really good idea.

looks unique...lekin aankhein hain tau jahan hai...Thanks 4 sharing..

Very offensive fashion...
    its very danger...
    thanks you...4 shearing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]