Jose Pekerman declared he plans to quit as Argentina coach after his side's World Cup exit on Friday. Pekerman saw his hotly-tipped team slump to a shoot-out defeat to hosts Germany in Berlin before announcing his intention to move on.

"I think the cycle is over," said Pekerman, in charge of the national side since 2004. "I'm sure I'm not going to continue [as coach]. I'm convinced that everything I had within my reach I have done and it's time to move on to other things."

Pekerman looked on as Germany keeper Jens Lehmann saved two Argentine penalties to put the host nation into the last four after German striker Miroslav Klose had cancelled out Roberto Ayala's opener.

"The penalties were a consequence of a very even match. It's a shame for Argentina who played very well today and in the whole championship," said Pekerman. "I always believed in this team, these players, this squad and they did not let me down.

"We believed until the last penalty. Argentina always looked to win but in our best moments of football we had no clear-cut chances."