FIFA is to investigate the ugly scenes on the pitch following Germany's quarter-final penalty shoot-out victory over Argentina in Berlin on Friday.

President Sepp Blatter said, "I am furious about that and our disciplinary committee will monitor this incident.

"We will take some steps towards those who are identified as being the provocateurs."

After the winning spot kick, Tim Borowski gestured towards the Argentina players to keep quiet and all hell broke loose. Players from both sides threw punches and kicks in a brawl that lasted 90 seconds.

Borowski said Argentine players had made "certain movements" to try to put him off before he took the kick.

"I don't want to go into details but the movements were there and the Argentines can't exactly declare themselves innocent. They're not exactly saints."

BAD SPORTS

Germany midfielder Torsten Frings said: "They lost their minds. It just shows they are bad sports and are badly behaved. I hope their players get suspended."

Argentina substitute Leandro Cufre was sent off for kicking Per Mertesacker.

The German responded: "One of their players attacked me even though I did not do anything. I have three or four red marks on my thigh and then he kicked me again in the groin."

Argentina coach Jose Pekerman resigned after the quarter-final defeat. Germany will play Italy in the semi-finals.