Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !!Circumcision 'could cut HIV risk' !!

Male circumcision could significantly reduce the burden of HIV in Africa, a study suggests.
    It concluded that the operation could avert about six million HIV infections and three million deaths in sub-Saharan Africa over the next 20 years.

The findings build on research, published in 2005, that suggested circumcision reduced HIV infection risk in heterosexual men by about 60%.

The research is published in the journal PLoS Medicine.

An international team of researchers used data on HIV infection rates and the prevalence of male circumcision across Africa to predict the potential impact.

Using mathematical modelling, they looked at what would happen if, over the next 10 years, all men in sub-Saharan Africa were circumcised.

They calculated that within a decade some two million new HIV infections and 300,000 deaths could be prevented. And in the ten years after that, a further 3.7 million infections and 2.7 million deaths could be avoided - with one in four of the deaths prevented being in South Africa.

The greatest reduction in infection would be for men, but this would have a knock-on effect for women.

Social factors

Catherine Hankins, chief scientific adviser to the United Nations Programme on HIV/Aids (UNAIDS) and a co-author on the study, said: "The big message from the paper is that there is a tremendous potential for male circumcision to have an effect on the HIV epidemic, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa.

She said the team would now like more data from new trials that are being undertaken, especially on male to female transmission, to further refine the model and to help inform decisions about whether and how to promote male circumcision for HIV prevention.

"Safety, acceptability and cost of male circumcision will also be important beyond just modelling this impact, because if you do not get increased uptake you will not see any of these effects."

Currently, she said, circumcision in sub-Saharan Africa varied greatly per country: "In west and central Africa have high circumcision rates and lower HIV rates. Southern and eastern Africa have lower circumcision rates and higher HIV rates."

Deborah Jack, chief executive of the National AIDS Trust, said: "These findings are encouraging and it is clear the promotion of voluntary circumcision can play an important role in reducing the risk of HIV transmission, as part of a comprehensive prevention programme.

Adopted fro BBC-http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5165118.stm

Circumcision Is Bullshit!

What a bunch of bullshit, mytonse! That is ridiculous! Any one who believes that shit needs their head examined! First of all, not having sex would reduce the risk by 100%! (Or, doing it protected, if you are going to do it!) Secondly, circumcision is a satanic, barbaric, hateful, heinous ritual that should be stopped! It is harmful, unnecessary and absolutely retarded! No normal, thinking person would promote circumcision! If you actually believe that garbage, then I feel sorry for you, mytonse! :ange;

circum is done as a religious custom
    not for preventing hiv infection
    u make me happy

Never A 'Reason'!

It is bullshit regardless of the supposed 'reason' it is done for! All of what I said applies, no matter what 'reason' it is done for; there is never a 'reason' to mutilate innocent baby boys!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthewarrior, post: 394706
    It is bullshit regardless of the supposed 'reason' it is done for! All of what I said applies, no matter what 'reason' it is done for; there is never a 'reason' to mutilate innocent baby boys!
    BS? on what grounds? And mutilation? oh come on.

Do some reading:

NEJM -- Male Circumcision for the Prevention of HSV-2 and HPV Infections and Syphilis

Clearinghouse on Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention

Bris Milah Beautiful or Barbaric?
    Dream, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthewarrior, post: 394706
    You're a retard for starters if there is so much information out there as to circumcision preventing HIV then why are you ignoring it? And you are showing no evidence on your behalf to the things you are saying hence the stuff you said is bullshit to be honest!

And its done to babies pain is there for a little while and then completely gone and babies don't even remember it, people like yourself make me laugh sometimes because I'm like ah yes another idiot waffling about some bullshit that he thinks its right

Come Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzi, post: 394749
    You're a retard for starters if there is so much information out there as to circumcision preventing HIV then why are you ignoring it? And you are showing no evidence on your behalf to the things you are saying hence the stuff you said is bullshit to be honest!

And its done to babies pain is there for a little while and then completely gone and babies don't even remember it, people like yourself make me laugh sometimes because I'm like ah yes another idiot waffling about some bullshit that he thinks its right
    Wow, Muzi! I am a 'retard' and an 'idiot' for merely having my own opinion on some thing? If you did not have any thing constructive to say, you could have just not posted any thing, rather than to resort to name-calling! It is my opinion; you are entitled to your own, what ever that may be! I, personally, do not agree with it at all; that is my opinion on the subject, as you can all clearly see. You did not have to be so hateful about it, Muzi! There are more constructive ways to expressing yourself than to call some one a 'retard' and an 'idiot', merely because they do not hold the same opinion as you!

Also, Endurer, what does 'Bris Milah' mean, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthewarrior, post: 394764
    Brit milah (Hebrew: ??????? ?????? [b'r?t m?'l?], Sephardi pronunciation, berit milah; Ashkenazi pronunciation, bris milah, "covenant of circumcision"; Yiddish, bris) is a religious ceremony within Judaism to welcome infant Jewish boys into a covenant between God and the Children of Israel through ritual circumcision performed by a mohel ("circumciser").
    Brit milah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dream, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthewarrior, post: 394764
    Wow, Muzi! I am a 'retard' and an 'idiot' for merely having my own opinion on some thing? If you did not have any thing constructive to say, you could have just not posted any thing, rather than to resort to name-calling! It is my opinion; you are entitled to your own, what ever that may be! I, personally, do not agree with it at all; that is my opinion on the subject, as you can all clearly see. You did not have to be so hateful about it, Muzi! There are more constructive ways to expressing yourself than to call some one a 'retard' and an 'idiot', merely because they do not hold the same opinion as you!

The only reason I used that tone with you is because you did that first, you could have expressed your own opinion nicer then you wouldn't have gotten this response off me

Agree To Disagree?

Uh...Endurer...your page says you are a Muslim; why are talking about and using Jewish terminology? Which is it? Are you a Jew or a Muslim? Also, the Qur'an, in case you had not noticed, never mentions circumcision once! Why are you using the beliefs of a different religion (Judaism) to defend your beliefs about circumcision?

You are right, Muzi! I should not have been so extreme; it is just that I get so worked up about this subject. I feel very strongly against circumcision - always have, always will - but I should have gone about it in a different way, using a less angry tone. Obviously, my opinions on this issue are very different than the opinions of a lot of other people on this site; so, I will just leave it at that, as I do not want to get into any more 'fights' with any one. That is how I feel, though; so at least you all know my opinion on the subject. I should, how ever, have not been so extreme.