Thread: Mel Gibson apologizes for despicable remarks

Award-winning actor Mel Gibson allegedly uttered a barrage of anti-Semitic remarks to sheriff's deputies when he was arrested for investigation of drunk driving, according to a website report. The entertainment site TMZ.com posted what it said were four pages from the original arrest report, which quotes Gibson as going on an expletive-laden tirade after he was stopped early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, CA.

In a lengthy statement Saturday, Gibson apologized for saying "despicable" things to the officers, but did not refer to any specific words he used. "I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable," the actor-director said.

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person."

According to the website report, Gibson said, "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world," and asked the officer, James Mee, "Are you a Jew?"

He also allegedly threatened the arresting deputy and at one point tried to escape.

Controversy surrounded Gibson during the making of his 2004 movie, "The Passion of the Christ," which many religious groups claimed was anti-Semitic because they felt it poorly portrayed Jews. The attention, however, raised the film's profile. The film earned hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide, making it one of the highest-grossing movies of all time.

Gibson's arrest has spurned another accusation -- that the L.A. County Sheriff's Department gave him preferential treatment. Reports also say the police force tried to cover up Gibson's alleged behaviour. TMZ said the arresting officer was told his first report was too inflammatory and that he should rewrite it.

Sheriff Lee Baca defended his department's handling of the case.

"There is no cover-up," Baca told The Los Angeles Times. "Our job is not to (focus) on what he said. It's to establish his blood-alcohol level when he was driving and proceed with the case. Trying someone on rumor and innuendo is no way to run an investigation, at least one with integrity."

Gibson publicist Alan Nierob would not comment on the bizarre incident beyond the written statement, which offered an explanation. "I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse," Gibson said.

Gibson, 50, was stopped at 2:30 a.m. near his Malibu home for speeding. He was allegedly clocked travelling 140 km/h in a 70 km/h zone. A breath test indicated his blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent.

Gibson was released about seven hours later after posting $5,000 bail.

Source: CTV.ca - With files from the Associated Press.
    Dream, I do.

no offense, but that is really funny. so wut if he said 'Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world'? ppl say these types of things all the time :bg: They're making it a big deal only becuz he's a celeb.
    Get off my back

lol I believe that he is working on a passion of the Christ Two :bg: this is how these hollywood guys promote their flicks...
    Dream, I do.

lol probably...

Let's all stop the racisim in world... In the words of Michael Jackson: "It don't matter if you're black or white."

hehehe... I just had to say that :bg:
    Get off my back