Thread: --US agency reviewing all Sony laptop batteries--

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - U.S. consumer safety officials said on Tuesday they are reviewing all Sony-made lithium-ion batteries in laptop computers for fire hazards after Dell Inc. (DELL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) announced the largest electronics recall in the United States.

Dell, the No. 1 maker of personal computers, on Monday said it is recalling 4.1 million notebook batteries made by Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) because they could overheat and catch fire. A battery of the type involved in the recall was in a Dell laptop that erupted in flames in Japan earlier this year.

The Sony batteries are also used in laptops from Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and Lenovo Group Ltd. (0992.HK: Quote, Profile, Research).

"We are looking at the complete scope of the batteries made by Sony to ensure that no other consumers are in harm's way," U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission spokesman Scott Wolfson said. "We recognize that the batteries manufactured by Sony are not unique to just the Dell notebook computers."

Such batteries are also used in a wide array of gadgets including cellphones, digital cameras, camcorders and music players, and Wolfson added that the safety commission is encouraging companies and consumers to report potential defects in other devices using the battery cells but the focus for now was on laptops.

Dell's recall covers Sony laptop batteries sold from April 2004 through July 18 of this year, including 2.7 million units in the United States.

While no injuries have been tied to these products, Dell said it has received six reports of batteries overheating since December, causing damage to furniture and other items.

"It's probably not Dell-specific," said the president of market researcher Endpoint Technologies Associates, Roger Kay. "If they have the Sony cell, specifically the cell made between April 2004 and June 2006, they have the problem."

src:Reuters.com

Retroactivism at mega corps. Believe me they are only doing it because they fear that someone will sue them otherwise they wouldn't care.

I wouldn't label it as good PR, they should insepct all matters related to their products before they spread out in the market.
    Dream, I do.

Right pointed out bro.So we just have to imagine Sony's sueproof tool.I agree totally .Beta should be killed.And then 4.1 million PCs is a huge no.

M.Y.Tonse

Yunus now it feels to me as if it (batteries callled back) was a publicity stunt...
    Dream, I do.

Probably..Cant say anthing unless more is sad on the news..Watching the articl closely.Will let you know on Updates .

Probably..Cant say anthing unless more is sad on the news..Watching the articl closely.Will let you know on Updates .