Living vs. Existing

Discussion in 'Teen Talks' started by EntangleDesi, Jan 2, 2009.

1. EntangleDesi

EntangleDesi New Member

Clearly, there is a big difference between merely existing and actually living. Do you feel like you are stuck in the same old daily grind, like you would like to break out of that shell and start living?

If you were to have the perfect adventure to spice up your life, what would it be like?

Existing to me is just getting done what needs to get done. You can still do those things and LIVE, if you feel the greater purpose that you have to make the effort to imbue into those things. If what you do everyday in and out, start and end then start again, over and over is not advancing you, then you NEED A CHANGE... you need to be stepping closer to something. And you have to really KNOW IT. Reassuring yourself constantly means you don't believe it.

You need a genuine prospect. You need a GOAL, something more than you have, and you have to first find out what it takes to get there, then you have to make work your friend. This is the key. Something that you MAKE, not just experience, is what has the strongest lasting effect on people. A little bit of suffering goes a long way. That way, no matter how mundane or boring any individual day may seem, it adds up.

Insecurity and lack of confidence in whatever that goal may be can make anyone indifferent and complacent in the long run. Just feeling like a responsible adult, in my opinion, is not enough to keep anyone happy for long. Life shouldn't stop moving once you've settled into the typical adult responsibilities. Just cause you provide for your kids, love your spouse, and are doing well on paying off your house doesn't mean that you shouldn't still want to do more with your life. It's not like you are breaking your commitment with those things, not at all. You have to realize that life WILL allow you to LIVE and be excited and have new prospects.

There are people out there who are just so excited about life, no matter what is going on, THEY can make it interesting for themselves and others. I LOVE these kinds of people, being around them is very replenishing for me. I think their secret is not that they are some superior beings with limitless energy and talents and perceptions... I have come to see that they key to these kinds of people is that they are so open to let inspiration come to them. They let it all in and see the inspiring qualities in so many things around them. Its not quite WHO you are, but what you allow yourself to experience. You have to relax and let stuff cut through the cynicism that we all eventually develop.
    1 person likes this.
  2. EntangleDesi

EntangleDesi New Member

There's also another state besides existing and living, -- surviving. When you feel like you're just surviving, it's terrible. I think we've all been at points in our lives that we've literally had to try to wait out. Maybe something tragic happened and we're just hanging on until we can figure out how to get over it. Or maybe we've been in a bad place and we spend all our energy trying to keep ourselves from falling into that position again.

I am somewhere in between existing and surviving. I think my survival mode is constantly in overdrive because I obviously have some psychological issues revolving around a fear of going without. I feel like I'm always scrambling to get away from that place I've actually already left -- but the fact hasn't kicked into my head yet.

Maybe that makes sense only to me! Anyway. I'll take existing over surviving any day. I'm sick of feeling like everything is a struggle when I know it doesn't have to be.
  3. Endurer

Endurer Senior Moderator

Great topic, ED. Apologies as I cannot contribute right now cuz it's work tomorrow but I'll make sure that this topic gets the attention it deserves, tomorrow.
  4. Endurer

Endurer Senior Moderator

I think the way you live your life is defined by the circumstances you've gone through or still are. To be honest, I have savoured all three of the above; survive, live, or exist and all three of them have left their mark on me. The question I ask myself is if I am enjoying it? To be honest, I was just killing time, always looking for that fast forward button that'd push my life to the grave though things are quite different today. I made some mistakes, I did good and bad deeds, kept me away from doing things I should've done in my age and worse, I denied me of my own existence. That denial part, it has some remnants left inside of me and I do sometimes like to think that I don't exist. The good part, I am slowly getting over it.

Coming back to the topic, existence is merely being present there physically, doing what you're told and keeping your mouth shut. A week before today, it's what I was exactly doing. I thought that there was no point in fighting with the odds so there I was, sitting in the corner and getting kicked like I was the guy who robbed the world of it's wealth. Did it help? Obviously no, it did more harm than good.

Now I have my chin up and I don't see problem as something that'd make me put a full stop at life and ultimately let every one suffer because of it. While living life a little differently ala with optimism, I make sure that it doesn't make me insensitive or numb to the pain because you got to feel to make it go away.
  5. Tulip

Tulip Exorbitant Staff Member

Fantastic topic ED. I wish i could talk much about it and write a detailed answer here but i don't want to. I am somewhere between living and existing.
  6. EntangleDesi

EntangleDesi New Member

Thank you for the response, Endurer. Perhaps I'll be able to reply to it directly when my mind is better able to comprehend information..right now I think it's about time I put it to retire for the night

Thank you Tulip, and completely understandable :]
  7. Shades

Shades New Member

Gr8 Topic.. ED,
    Well overall according to me I am very much Living... each and every second of life & this golden phase started the moment I adopted my lifestyle according to Islam, and suddenly every thing appeared to me perfect for me and optimism smashed the the pessimistic feeling which I developed b4, and I have know realized that I am happy only due to the grace of the Almighty which is showering...
  8. jackcollins

jackcollins New Member

am existing not living .pffffffffffff
    well somethings r gd but many things r there which are not the way i like them to be . :| :(
    GoD Help Plzzzzzzzzzzzzz